• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hi as anyone on here got a caravan and take there tortoise with them i have got a tourer and when we go away my dad comes and feeds him but my wife thinks we should take him with us just woundering how we would go about it
Thanks

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hi Gary,

This is just my opinion but I think it might be a little stressful for him, tortoises don't like change and your going to change him for a week or two and then change him back, you would have to have an enclosure for him with heat and uv while away and some thing suitable for him to travel in, I think he would be best left at home with someone looking after him, but as I say this is just my opinion. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Totally agree. Tortoises are so different to mammals in this respect. Keeping them in their familiar environment is very important to their well being. Many many years ago when we were let down by a tortoise sitter I took Wizza away with us for a few days in a caravan. The amount of poop and pee we cleaned up in those few days was proof enough to how stressed he was. In hindsight he would have been better left behind with no food. I've never done it since and felt very guilty at the time :(

#4 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Thanks i dint like the idea but it was my wife and kids wanted to put him in a indoor rabbit hutch and use my arcadia d3 light has its easy to move

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thanks i dint like the idea but it was my wife and kids wanted to put him in a indoor rabbit hutch and use my arcadia d3 light has its easy to move

If you could get around not doing, he would be better at home. He won't appreciate being moved TBH and it could take some time to get him back to normal, given the time of year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users