5 replies to this topic

#1 embig26

embig26

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Hi there,
Could someone please help me determine the sex of the 2 new horsefields I have bought please.
They've been 2 females then a male and a female (sexed by 2 previous owners). Now I have them I'd really like to know what they are.
Many thanks
EmmaAttached File  Screenshot_20160802-092933.png   524.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20160802-092957.png   668.22KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20160802-093014.png   735.19KB   0 downloads

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

What weight are they Emma? It's difficult to tell from pics what size/age they are. Is the one in the first pic showing any sign of wanting to mate or bully the other one at all?

#3 embig26

embig26

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

Hi Wizzasmum,
Yes the one in the first pic is the one that's doing the mounting. It's also the heaviest. Without going downstairs and looking In my diary I can give rough weights, the first one is 8 hundred & something gram and the second is 6 hundred and something gram. There both supposed to be 10 years old apparently.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Well, they are certainly adult sizes, but the one appearing to be male has a much shorter tail than most males. I would be inclined to say male and female. Either way given the behaviour you will need to either separate them or give them lots of room. Are they outdoors?

#5 embig26

embig26

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

Could I ask what's making you think there different sexes please? There really confusing because there's a slight difference to them both but they look the same. I know that doesn't make any sense at all, that's the confusing bit lol.
There housed separate indoors and I have an outdoor enclosure too, I'd done lots of research and read they weren't supposed to be together so I separated them. I felt really sad about it and they tried to escape for 2 days (assuming to find each other) but they've both settled down now.

Could I also ask, I have a redfoot baby he's only 2 and he hates his table and his basking area, he would rather be with humans than in his table. As soon as we put him back he goes and hides between the corner and a plant. He won't eat unless he's hand fed or put to the food and he certainly doesn't drink until he's bathed. Iv had him for about 5 weeks now.
If I need to start a new topic for this question I don't mind I'll copy it. I'm just really concerned that hes getting no light/heat and that being in there is depressing him/her we've called him a him until proven otherwise lol.
He sat with my partner last night for 2 hours and the minute he put him back in his table he went to the side and was trying to escape! (This is the first time he's done that, he normally runs straight back to his corner and hides)
Thanks x

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

If they are separate sexes then the female would suffer long term by being constantly mated, this is why a ratio of one male to at least three females makes more sense. Even then the male needs time out occasionally, as males can lose serious condition by mating constantly, allowing other illness to surface. If you look at the anal scutes they are very different, plus the cloacal opening is slightly different. Sometimes, if they have grown too fast or poorly then this affects the anal scutes and even tail size, making sexing difficult. As these pics only show the plastron though, it's not possible to say if this is the reason. Do you have profile pics at all? If the one that is definitely female is ok with the advances and not constantly trying to escape him, then I wouldn't worry too much. Re the redfoot, they need higher humidity than a table can give and totally different environment to russians. Also, tortoises always object when moved from place to place, whether a better habitat or not, it's part of their inbred survival. 5 weeks is no time at all for settling in and I'd advise not hand feeding. No healthy tortoise will starve itself and will eat when it's ready. Remember they hibernate for much longer than this so as long as it's being bathed it will be fine. Hand feeding can take years to break, so unless you have guarantees of 100 years of hand feeding it can become a problem sadly. In the wild redfoots live in forests, so low levels of sunlight anyway, so hiding away is perfectly normal. Once you correct his conditions you will see normal behaviour follow, but remember it will be nothing like the russians. Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users