5 replies to this topic

#1 Jimf1984

Jimf1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

Hi guys,
I have just got a little hermann tortoise, roughly 2 years old.
It's my first tortoise and I'm unsure how much he should be eating.
I have 2 sorts of dried food and have been putting in fresh cabbage which he seems to enjoy but he eats such a small amount I'm wondering if he's off his food.
I have only had him for a week and he still seems very nervous, he happy enough running around when I let him out but when he's in his tortoise table set up he sleeps for very long periods.
He has sufficient heating and a uv light so I don't think that's an issue.
Any suggestions?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hi there. Hermanns don't eat fruit or veg, so a change of diet would be good for him. Your certificate should tell you how old he is. At two years of age he should weigh around 50-60 grams if home reared. Don't let him out of his tortoise table, he needs to be in this 24/7 so that he can settle into his new surroundings. Too much handling and change of scenery is very stressful to tortoises and will result in illness. Running around when out of his enclosure is just him being stressed and looking for escape to a familiar place. Weigh him and keep his hydration up by daily bathing and the feeding will come when he is ready. This is how I feed mine www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm Never feed dried food, especially to a tortoise that is off his food, it will become a habit as it's addictive and also very high protein, which will shorten his life. Hope this helps :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

Hi guys,
I have just got a little hermann tortoise, roughly 2 years old.
It's my first tortoise and I'm unsure how much he should be eating.
I have 2 sorts of dried food and have been putting in fresh cabbage which he seems to enjoy but he eats such a small amount I'm wondering if he's off his food.
I have only had him for a week and he still seems very nervous, he happy enough running around when I let him out but when he's in his tortoise table set up he sleeps for very long periods.
He has sufficient heating and a uv light so I don't think that's an issue.
Any suggestions?

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises don't like change and can take some time to settle into a new enclosure, as Sue has said it's best they aren't let out to walk around the room as this is stressful for them, their best just left and given time to settle in.

With the diet it's always best to feed a natural diet of weeds and plants, no dried food or no fruit and veg have a read of this as I think you'll find it helpful  http://l.facebook.co...htm&h=HAQH5WmU4 have a read and any questions just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

#4 Jimf1984

Jimf1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks,
I have been out and picked him some fresh plants for him to munch on and he seems to be really enjoying it.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

That's great, this is also a really good book to help with weed id and to see what's good tortoise food, you might find it helpful. :)  https://www.facebook...hc_location=ufi

#6 Jimf1984

Jimf1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

Awesome, thanks for the advise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users