• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi this is Lances mum, getting concerned about his tortoise Petal. Her eating did pick up but very limited unlike Dandy who eats extremely well. Even with very hot temperatures on the south coast something seems amiss. Lance has grown lots of tortoise food and has at times been able to hand feed her although she gets wise to this and runs off. She was not in good shape when we got them. Is worming something to do? Any other tips as heat great food arnt seeming to help her gain weight and apart from just being worried I can't see her being able to hibernate safely if this continues. She is always active running about and climbing so anything she does eat is being burnt off I should think. She weights 325g. 5 years old.
Thank you all for the help and advice
Claire

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

First off, you must NOT hibernate this tortoise. Definitely worm them and hold off hibernating either until late in the year or even the New Year. Are you feeding fibrous food or just home grown young leaves. Soft food will pass through very quickly, so aim for wild picked leaves if possible. She's actually quite heavy for a five year old, so no worries on that score, but obviously if she is losing weight, that cause for concern.

#3 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Hello
Well it's wild picked and home grown, not just young it's grown to full size. Lance has a good system for growing plants and access to Nans big wild garden for plants. Was thinking hibernation not an option for her, if there is anything I need to know re none hibernating tortoises I would appreciate any advice. So can you advice on worming as well please, I have wormed cats and dogs but this is new, can you let me know what to use.
Thanks Claire

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

Use panacur for puppies and kittens. Some outlets will ask for your address. As there are no wormers specifically licensed for tortoises you would need to tell them it was for a pup. It's what the vet would use. You need to add it to the favourite food in the ratio per kg as mentioned on the lack. If worms are seen over the next week or so, dose again in a fortnight. Overwintering is under lamps to 32 degrees in the hot spot. Are you using lamps at the moment?

#5 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Hi
Thanks for worming advice I will get onto it.
Yes we have the heat lamp and she is in good heated temperature. She came out of hibernation in a bad way the previous owner over wintered in the garden as in outside in a cold frame in the garden soil. They were both a bit unwell as the winter wasn't great I guess. The lady was giving them away to new homes so hopefully they will all be happier now.
Lance has been hand feeding her which she seems to be responding to again which is a good sign. With advice from you putting things in place I am sure she will be ok. You mentioned briefly about a short hibernation may be possible? I guess if hot they will stay awake to fool there natural instinct. But I would nearer the time appreciate advice on if this is even possible for Petal and how to do it safely if at all.
Thanks again

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi
Thanks for worming advice I will get onto it.
Yes we have the heat lamp and she is in good heated temperature. She came out of hibernation in a bad way the previous owner over wintered in the garden as in outside in a cold frame in the garden soil. They were both a bit unwell as the winter wasn't great I guess. The lady was giving them away to new homes so hopefully they will all be happier now.
Lance has been hand feeding her which she seems to be responding to again which is a good sign. With advice from you putting things in place I am sure she will be ok. You mentioned briefly about a short hibernation may be possible? I guess if hot they will stay awake to fool there natural instinct. But I would nearer the time appreciate advice on if this is even possible for Petal and how to do it safely if at all.
Thanks again

It's not quite as simple as keep them hot and they will carry on as though it's summer. Some will, but the majority of healthy tortoises will react to shorter natural light cycles as well as temps, especially if they have already hibernated before. Make sure your tortoise has a temperature gradient, so 32 in the hot spot going down to as cool as possible elsewhere. This way they can choose their temps and thermoregulate as a tortoise should. Be careful with hand feeding unless she us actually losing weight, as this can lead to a lifetime of bad habits leading to not eating unless hand fed. Remember a tortoise will live longer than we do :) Don't worry, we will be here to help when the time comes.

#7 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

They have shaded areas and it's going to cool down with the weather changing, and good point about the light levels makes sense, the weight has been dropping again, last time lance hand fed her she naturally stopped wanting this and started eating herself for about a month or so then we notices she had stopped and lost weight again? so hand feeding seemed an option to maybe kick start her interest. Interesting point about bad habits they can get into that's one to avoid big time, . I love to way at the same time everyday they take themselves to bed and wake the same time as well each day. Petal always heads to the bath lance does every morning to the clean the water, she sits in it for a long time which is good for hydration. I hope that if worms are a problem this solves the issue. As she has also lived with Dandy who has no eating issues do you advice worming him also? Wouldn't want to do it if not required but I guess they pass to each other ? Thanks again.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Yes it's best to worm them both. If no worms are seen then it would be a good idea to bath Petal in reptoboost fir a few days to kick start her system. Don't do this for prolonged periods though as it will upset the gut flora further.

#9 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Thank you. Will let you know how Petal progresss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users