Hydration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I bath the yearlings every two days, they pass normal and healthy urates in the water and also in the enclosure, they sleep buried in damp coco coir substrate. However I often see them (on netcam) drink water from their shallow dishes. The temps are 32-34 degrees under the two megaray lamps and 19-21 degrees away from the lamps and same ambient temp in the room where they are.

I soak them for 10 minutes in warm water at 25-30 degrees, they submerge their head in the water and after 10 minutes or so that they want to get out of the dish, so I assume they have had enough of water given their behavior.

My questions are:

Is that normal that they drink often from the shallow dishes?

Should I soak them longer and keep the water lukewarm so that they stay longer in it?

Thank you

Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I bath the yearlings every two days, they pass normal and healthy urates in the water and also in the enclosure, they sleep buried in damp coco coir substrate. However I often see them (on netcam) drink water from their shallow dishes. The temps are 32-34 degrees under the two megaray lamps and 19-21 degrees away from the lamps and same ambient temp in the room where they are.

I soak them for 10 minutes in warm water at 25-30 degrees, they submerge their head in the water and after 10 minutes or so that they want to get out of the dish, so I assume they have had enough of water given their behavior.

My questions are:

Is that normal that they drink often from the shallow dishes?

Should I soak them longer and keep the water lukewarm so that they stay longer in it?

Thank you

Sabina

Hi Sabina,

I bath my hatchlings regular but I still see them using their water bowl, your temps are just a little high you would be best aiming for 30/32 instead of 32/34. x

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

OK thank you Karen. I will adjust the lamp heights a bit.

I made steep slopes in the corners where the lamps are so some of the substrate is closer to the lamps and i think this is why the temps are hotter than 30/32 on the highest point of the hill. I guess they know where to position themselves to bask for their needs and not overheat themselves just in case right? 

#4 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

Sounds like normal behaviour. Mine will do the same at Bath time. Once they have had enough they will try and escape. Changing the temperature in my experience wouldn't make much of a difference. I tend to change the water during bath time as it gets colder the longer you leave them in the bowl.

Do you suspect a hydration problem?

Would love to see pic's.

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hi Pompeypoole

Thank you for your feedback. I am a new keeper (the yearlings have been at home for about 5 weeks), so i am asking questions to learn and get feedback from experience keepers. So far there is no suspicion on lack of hydration

Recent pics attached as you wanted to see some

Sabina

Attached Files

#6 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Great pics. They look just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users