3 replies to this topic

#1 hannah92

hannah92

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi There!

I am new to the forum but I am after a bit of guidance regarding my tortoise.  We have had him for just under a year now.  He is only 3 years old so quite little.  Throughout the summer we have had him outside which he seemed to be happy with but I am a bit apprehensive about the winter/colder months and am looking for some advice on the best way to keep him so he is happiest.  We have quite a large tortoise table which we had him in last winter but sometimes he wasn't very keen on really getting himself up and about.  The breeder who we got him from suggested not letting him hibernate until he is at least 5 years old because of their size when they are so young?  He eats happily and generally seems to be happy but just for my own reassurance if anyone has any general advice it would be great to hear as I read so many things which often seem to be conflicting.

Many thanks

Hannah 

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hi Hannah

I am a new keeper and from what i learnt on the forum is that tortoises hibernate from the first winter after born in the wild, even those in captivity will have a strong instinct to hibernate, this is part of their natural life cycle and their DNA make up. Humans set-up the 5 years old thing, not nature.

Sabina

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi There!

I am new to the forum but I am after a bit of guidance regarding my tortoise.  We have had him for just under a year now.  He is only 3 years old so quite little.  Throughout the summer we have had him outside which he seemed to be happy with but I am a bit apprehensive about the winter/colder months and am looking for some advice on the best way to keep him so he is happiest.  We have quite a large tortoise table which we had him in last winter but sometimes he wasn't very keen on really getting himself up and about.  The breeder who we got him from suggested not letting him hibernate until he is at least 5 years old because of their size when they are so young?  He eats happily and generally seems to be happy but just for my own reassurance if anyone has any general advice it would be great to hear as I read so many things which often seem to be conflicting.

Many thanks
Hannah

Three years old is plenty big enough to hibernate Hannah. My own babies hibernate from their first year, so long as they are over around twenty or thirty grams. A three year old would be around 60-70 grams weight in the wild, a little more in captivity usually. If yours is heavier than this it would be an advantage to hibernate him. It encourages nice smooth growth too. It's unusual for breeders to say to leave until five years, that is usually pet shop or dealer advice, to cover them if anything goes wrong with imports. It has to be your choice of course but I would definitely recommend hibernation for healthy torts.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:09 AM

Hi There!

Many thanks

Hannah 

Hi Hannah, welcome to the forum.

I also hibernate hatchlings for about 8 weeks, I normally hibernate them in January/February time as these seem to be the cooler months.

It's really your choice now but if you do feel confident enough to hibernate I always think it's best, some tortoises do well been over wintered some don't and are quite hard to keep going, what ever you choose were here to help with any advice you need. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users