Natural Limestone Stones

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hello

I have added in the enclosure of Shanti and Namaste some off cut pieces of natural yellow limestones. I have noticed that they both try to eat the stones.

I am now worried about nutrients deficiency, although I supplement with nekton MSA everyday (started to use it on 21 August 2016) , and they have 2 megaray 100W Heat UV lamps (started to use them on 21 August 2016) + an Arcadia 54W 12% UV strip (started to use early September 2016). I feed on fresh weeds everyday, weeds chosen as per the torts lady book.

Also I understand this can be good for their beak but this would not contribute to too much beak erosion, wouldn't it? They would know where to stop, wouldn't they?

Any feedback/ advise welcome.
Thank you very much

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hello
I have added in the enclosure of Shanti and Namaste some off cut pieces of natural yellow limestones. I have noticed that they both try to eat the stones.
I am now worried about nutrients deficiency, although I supplement with nekton MSA everyday (started to use it on 21 August 2016) , and they have 2 megaray 100W Heat UV lamps (started to use them on 21 August 2016) + an Arcadia 54W 12% UV strip (started to use early September 2016). I feed on fresh weeds everyday, weeds chosen as per the torts lady book.
Also I understand this can be good for their beak but this would not contribute to too much beak erosion, wouldn't it? They would know where to stop, wouldn't they?
Any feedback/ advise welcome.
Thank you very much
Sabina

Hi Sabina
I have several torts of differing ages and sizes. Outdoors I have little piles of limestone flour, so they can self regulate their calcium intake. Some take more than others. It's very popular with gravid females, but also occasionally with males and juveniles too. Some of my torts never touch it, while others seem to become obsessed. With little ones, they are often like other baby animals and will take lumps out of anything new, just because they can, although light colours seem to be a favourite lol. Given a good supplement, uvb lamps and a good diet, I'm sure you don't need to worry about under supplementing, but over supplementation can be possible, especially when added to a food without giving the choice. The beak won't become too worn, as once the correct length is reached, the hard thicker bony area is much stronger and won't get damaged. Hope this helps ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users