• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

Hi I am terrypin not been on this forum for some time. I have kept tortoises for a number of years and hope I can share my love for them with you all.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

Hi I am terrypin not been on this forum for some time. I have kept tortoises for a number of years and hope I can share my love for them with you all.

Hi Terry, welcome back to the forum.

It's nice to have more people join that can give their views and experiences on tortoise keeping, if I remember right you keep Leopard tortoises as well, I look forward to hearing how their doing. x

#3 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi Karen thanks for the reply. Yes I have kept Leopard tortoises since 1996. Raising a group of captive bred hatchlings I purchased from the UK which I raised to adults hatching a couple of clutches before making the decision to stop breeding them due to the difficulty finding good homes for them. I first bred my Testudo graeca graeca in 1989 and my Testudo hermanni boettgeri the following year. I have been hatching second generation hatchlings from my home bred adult Hermanns for several years now and this year hatched my first second generation Graeca graeca hatchlings again from home bred adults. For the last few years I had stopped hatching the TGG  and SPB for a few years now not even hatching my THB every year. This year I hatched the 2 TGG I have and along with a few THB from last year will be hibernating them from probably Christmas time. Thanks so much for the welcome  it is good to be back.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:49 AM

Hi Karen thanks for the reply. Yes I have kept Leopard tortoises since 1996. Raising a group of captive bred hatchlings I purchased from the UK which I raised to adults hatching a couple of clutches before making the decision to stop breeding them due to the difficulty finding good homes for them. I first bred my Testudo graeca graeca in 1989 and my Testudo hermanni boettgeri the following year. I have been hatching second generation hatchlings from my home bred adult Hermanns for several years now and this year hatched my first second generation Graeca graeca hatchlings again from home bred adults. For the last few years I had stopped hatching the TGG  and SPB for a few years now not even hatching my THB every year. This year I hatched the 2 TGG I have and along with a few THB from last year will be hibernating them from probably Christmas time. Thanks so much for the welcome  it is good to be back.

Wow that's amazing, I look forward to hearing all about them, I decided a couple of years back to keep some of my Horsfield  hatchlings to grow up to adults maybe one day in the future it would be nice to have hatchlings from these. x

#5 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

That was always my ambition to raise them to be healthy viable adults. The Leopard hatchlings I purchased from Ashley Woods in 1996 I was pleased to do this with in 2008 but since I never actually hatched them I felt a bit of a fraud ,even though they were only just hatched when I got them.. `The others of course are all my own work lol.  I wish you the best of luck with yours we are lucky not everyone hatches unrelated youngsters to be able to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users