Outdoors / Indoors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Hello

If I build an outdoor enclosure which looks like the same as the indoor enclosure in terms size and design, components and where things are placed/positionned etc.. basically replicate as close as possible the indoors enclosure outdoors, will be tortoises see the difference if I transfer them from indoor enclosure to outdoor enclosure and vice versa?

Thank you

Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:58 AM

Hello

If I build an outdoor enclosure which looks like the same as the indoor enclosure in terms size and design, components and where things are placed/positionned etc.. basically replicate as close as possible the indoors enclosure outdoors, will be tortoises see the difference if I transfer them from indoor enclosure to outdoor enclosure and vice versa?

Thank you

Sabina

Hi Sabina,

Yes they would still know the difference, as tortoises seem so much happier outside than indoors, their more active and seem more full of life even at a young age. x

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Karen, I agree that outdoors is better than indoors, no question about it.

My question was more related to the fact that we know that tortoises do not like change and whether replicating the indoor enclosure outside would work. My thinking is, instead of putting in and out the whole current indoor enclosure next spring/summer, build a replica of it outdoors, so move in and out only the babies. And what question is whether the babies will see the difference and be stressed despite the fact that the outdoor enclosure will look the same as the one indoors. Does it make sense?

Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

Yes, they would still notice the change, as light levels would be much higher and ambient temperatures would vary. It would not be as stressful though as a totally different enclosure. Hope this helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users