How Long Should I Hibernate For?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering what duration I should be looking at for my tortoises first hibernation, I have had him 3 years but always chickened out of hibernating and chose to overwinter indoors instead.
He is 6 years old and captive bred, I have had him 3 years and would imagine he probably has never done this before, I have checked his weight, length etc and he is bang on perfect looking at Jacksons ratio, he started his wind down a couple of days ago so planning if all goes well to have him in fridge in 3 weeks time, everything regarding the fridge is set up ready, obviously I will be monitoring his weight weekly throughout and presuming I don't need to bring him out due to too much weight loss or other problem, how many weeks should I be aiming for on his first hibernation?

Thanks,

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering what duration I should be looking at for my tortoises first hibernation, I have had him 3 years but always chickened out of hibernating and chose to overwinter indoors instead.
He is 6 years old and captive bred, I have had him 3 years and would imagine he probably has never done this before, I have checked his weight, length etc and he is bang on perfect looking at Jacksons ratio, he started his wind down a couple of days ago so planning if all goes well to have him in fridge in 3 weeks time, everything regarding the fridge is set up ready, obviously I will be monitoring his weight weekly throughout and presuming I don't need to bring him out due to too much weight loss or other problem, how many weeks should I be aiming for on his first hibernation?

Thanks,

Hi, with any hibernation the minimum you want to hibernate is 8 weeks any less isn't beneficial really, with this been the first hibernation all been well you could hibernate for 8/10 weeks.

I would set your fridge up well before hand I normally run mine for a couple of weeks to give the temps time to settle, I add bottles of water to help keep the temperature stable hope that helps. x

#3 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply mildredsmam!
That's very helpful advice, the fridge is set up and running well now with the water bottles an we are only just starting the wind down so looking at around 3 weeks yet before I put Darwin in.
Am nervous as this is the first time but reassured by everything I read on this site from you very experienced folks and knowing it's the best and natural thing to do for the wellbeing of my Darwin!
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users