Photo

How To Best Keep Temps Low And Humidity At Correct Level During Night In The Autumn /winter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hello

Me again with another question…

I try to keep the temps as low as possible in the room of the two baby Hermann at this time of the year. but I have encountered some issues:

·         I have noticed that recently the babies sleep more on the surface of the substrate or just hidden under a bridge or in the cavern, and usually even if they use the bridges or the cavern they burrow under the coco coir.

·         Despite the fact that there is no heating in the room where the babies are, the ambient temp in the room is 19-20 degrees.

·         The substrate (coconut coir) dries quicker

·         The water in the water dishes evaporates quicker

·         I am worried about dehydration of the babies

·         I am worried about temps not low enough and therefore babies don’t rest their organism to the optimum at night

So yesterday I have decided to do the following every night and morning:

·         Open the window to get the temps down and get some humidity in the room. Yesterday evening the temp when down to 16 degrees but for safety I closed the window before I went to bed. In the morning the temps was about 16.5 degrees in the room and on substrate and there was a lot of condensation on the window inside though.I

·         I soak the babies frequently, almost every day since they have been with me. And they have access to 3 dishes of water in the enclosure

Is what I am doing right?

Also your experience on how you keep temps low and good himidity at night welcome.

Thank you

Sabina

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Any experience on how to avoid too much dryness because of central heating at home?
Thank you

#3 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

Any experience on how to avoid too much dryness because of central heating at home?
Thank you

What you are trying to do can be really difficult unless you have a completely separate room that can be heated independently. What I have done is insulated sheds out doors which I can control the background heating,species dependent. If for adult female tropicals, they have no floor for winter nesting. For hatchling meds before and after hibernation they can be housed on tables with minimum background heating but with UV  or Daylight fluorescent tubes to promote daytime activity. I only use their heat lamps for basking and use these in a couple of session totaling no more than 6 hours a day. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users