4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

hi

I have a 6 year old Hermann she is in a large enclosure in the house with plenty of lighting substrate is Tortoise life but in the last 2 weeks she is wandering around and around the pen and making such a racket with her shell on the side walls and trying to climb out.  is she bored or just going through some stuff.  I don't hibernate her she usually quietens down when the ambient temperature drops, not at the moment it seems:)

Nicky

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise Wilbur..Holidays

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hi Nicky

I am a newbie but my 8 year old Hermann (Wilbur) was doing that as well, I took him out to wander around the kitchen where I knew he couldn't hurt himself he settled down after that,,but does on occasion still bang the sides, not sure why they do it though. I have only just had him for 6 months and wasn't going to hibernate him but after reading a lot of articles I am going to give it a go..with the help from this forum I hope all goes well..

sorry I cant help you further but I am sure Sue, Karen or someone might know the answer..

Carol x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

I think the key here, with both torts are they are far too big to be kept in indoor enclosures. Only hatchlings and small juveniles can cope with indoor habitats and even tinies do better outdoors in summer. Tortoises natural have pretty large ranges and as they are highly geared to do as nature intended, they don't adapt well to indoor life. Sorry not to have been more help.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:54 AM

Hi,

I agree with Sue older torts don't do well living in tables as the space just isn't big enough for them, also i wouldn't let them roam around the kitchen etc they need to be on the correct substrate at all times and be able to warm up when needed, it can be quite stressful for them outside their enclosure. x

#5 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

hi

I have a 6 year old Hermann she is in a large enclosure in the house with plenty of lighting substrate is Tortoise life but in the last 2 weeks she is wandering around and around the pen and making such a racket with her shell on the side walls and trying to climb out.  is she bored or just going through some stuff.  I don't hibernate her she usually quietens down when the ambient temperature drops, not at the moment it seems:)

Nicky

Hi it sounds to me like you have a very active tortoise which could mean adequate lighting and optimum temperature. I do agree totally with both Sue and Karen in that this tortoise has perhaps outgrown its enclosure. Perhaps you could let us know more details like size of enclosure day and night temperatures . Also depth and type of substrate. Maybe a reduction in daylight hours and temperature and you could prepare for a short hibernation. I am a little concerned your tortoise may be getting stressed due to the constant heat and confinement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users