• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Help needed please i have got a few question when is the best time to put squirt into hibernation? and how long for? And whats best way about doing it? he as started going of his food and digging down alot earlier i put it down to clocks changing but am i right in thinking that he is putting himself into hibernation i have had him since feb and hes about 20months old so this will be his 1st time

Thanks in advance

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

Hi Gary,

For tortoises to hibernate they need a temperature of about 5c, before they go into hibernation they need a wind down period where they don't eat at all so they can empty their stomachs.

With my little ones i normally start winding them down in the first weeks of December i fridge hibernate them and they go in at around Christmas time for 8 weeks, any thing less than 8 weeks isn't really benefical, how much does your tortoise weigh?

You might find this a helpful read. x   http://www.tortsmad....hibernation.htm

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for your reply he is 115g and do i just stop feeding him for a couple of weeks and put him in the fridge i wasnt going to hibernate him but i think im going to now

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

This is how I do mine www.tortsmad.com/hibernation.htm

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for your reply he is 115g and do i just stop feeding him for a couple of weeks and put him in the fridge i wasnt going to hibernate him but i think im going to now

Hi Gary,

Have a read of the link I gave you as this will help, at first for the first week or so you need your lights and heat on as normal but offer no food at all give regular soaks, then start reducing heat and light daily, when you've reduce the hours of heat etc you need to start cooling him or her down to about 10c before going into the fridge, you bath regular through out the wind down period, your slowly slowing him down after he's emptied his stomach this will take you between 2/3 weeks to do, your fridge must be set up ready with a thermometer to keep a check on the temps, you also open the fridge door daily for air exchange I hope that makes sense lol. x

#6 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise Wilbur..Holidays

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hi Gary,

Just wondered if you hibernated your tort or not or have you changed your mind.. , I am just in the process of winding mine down and wondered how you got on if you did.

Thank

Carol

#7 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hi sorry for late reply ive changed my mind about hibernating squirt this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users