• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

Good day, would like to say what great advice there is on here! Many thanks!
2 days ago I got given a hermanns lady tort, a friend got her few months back, but wasn't working out with family etc.. so asked if I would take her on, as he trusted I would look after her, unfortunately she's been in a viv, but tomorrow I'm building her a table. The paper work says she hatched August 2014, she is 11 cm long shel, is that ok? I've ordered scales to weigh her but come tomorrow so not sure on that yet. Just wanted to introduce myself and her, and put pic to check if you think she ok. The things I'm not sure on is food amount per day, also calcium powder amour to put on food.i will post the table I. Hold and check if I've missed anything when I do it tomorrow. Thanks in advance (I'm in uk by the way)Attached File  IMG_3961.JPG   53.23KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3968.JPG   39.35KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3972.JPG   47.15KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3975.JPG   41KB   0 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:01 AM

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum, and well done for making things better for her, she looks quite big for her age, but we'll wait untill you've weighed her, what are you feeding at the minute, they don't need feeding much even though they would eat all day long, i feed mine once a day and only a few leafs but i do have a few to feed, also what are you using for calcium powder i use Nekton Msa daily for smaller torts that are still growing you can buy it from Amazon you only need a small tub. x

#3 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

Tha calcium powder they had is called Nutrobal, how much should be given? Is it daily or weekly? A teaspoon or a sprinkle? Sorry I'm going to ask lots of question as I don't want her to suffering if I mess up.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Nutrobal should be given daily to small torts a very light dusting, ask as many questions as you need to there's always someone around happy to help. x

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Tha calcium powder they had is called Nutrobal, how much should be given? Is it daily or weekly? A teaspoon or a sprinkle? Sorry I'm going to ask lots of question as I don't want her to suffering if I mess up.

As Karen says, just a very light sprinkling, so you can hardly see it. The dosage is a pinch per kilo of tortoise, so for babies a very tiny amount. Watch the sell by date as nutrobal goes off very quickly once opened

#6 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

Ok scales arrived and she is 335g

#7 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

Ok, I have spent all day making the new home for her!! Looks bare as not been to get things for inside, and need to transfers uv light in there, any advice on how may heat lights? The table is approx 1.9m x 1.1m and would one uv light be enough?

Attached Files

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

Are you sure the tortoise is only two years old? That's very big, roughly the size of a six or seven year old. Re the table, you will need more than one light fir the tortoise to use all of it. UVB strip lamps are better for a large area, to avoid light spots and darker areas. So long as the whole area is lit, one basking light would be enough, so long as its hot enough. If you have 150 watts or more then the bulb can be raised to cover a bigger area.

#9 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for reply, I'm only going what it says on the certificate I was given!after looking at other pics it does seem big! I have uv strip light just need to take it from viv and put in the table, I've put her in the table and is curiously exploring 👍Attached File  IMG_3990.JPG   46.41KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3991.JPG   32.94KB   0 downloads

#10 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:50 PM

So if she is older than 2, should I do anything different? I don't think she ever been hidernated, can I start? Or it to late if she hasn't already done it? Also can I put plant pots with food she eats in table? Or will she just eat it all in one go! Sorry again for all the questions

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:42 AM

Hi Andy,

If she was older than 2 you would still give the same care it's the same for hatchlings up to adults, as said she is big for her age i have some here about that age that weigh about 80/100g you can slow her weight gain down given the right food and the right amount, lettuce and cucumber are ok as a one off feed but you would be better feeding weeds and plants some Florett crispy salad is ok to use over winter when weeds are hard to find but at the minute there's still quite a few about, this might be helpful on diet   http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

It's not too late to hibernate if you feel ready for that my little ones will go into hibernation at the end of next month for 8 weeks.

Just to add the tables looking great loads better than a vivarium, I wouldn't plant any edible plants in or she'll just eat them in my tables I have Carex grass planted it lasts quite some time and they like to dig down under it on a night. x

#12 terrypin

terrypin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Hi Andy welcome to the forum. I must say your table looks well made.

#13 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hibernation worries me, but feel I should do it. I'll go on a weed hunt today.

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hibernation worries me, but feel I should do it. I'll go on a weed hunt today.

I hope the weed hunt went well if your ever stuck just post a picture and we'll see if we can id it for you as not all weeds are edible, if you don't feel confident to hibernate then you don't have to you could look into that for next year, but I would keep a record of her weight gain over winter by weighing her every month try and keep the gain minimal x

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

This might be helpful if you want to think about hibernation. x   http://www.tortsmad....hibernation.htm

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

I hope the weed hunt went well if your ever stuck just post a picture and we'll see if we can id it for you as not all weeds are edible, if you don't feel confident to hibernate then you don't have to you could look into that for next year, but I would keep a record of her weight gain over winter by weighing her every month try and keep the gain minimal x

Totally agree with this and would hibernate if possible, this will help to produce smooth growth in the future. Given that tortoises take 15 or so years to mature, this one would probably mature around five years if fast growth continues. Make sure food is hard to find and chew, which is what would happen in nature. Good luck.

#17 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

There's always lots of dandelions around my area so got that today, and also clover, have ordered the seed to grow the recomended weeds so will have constant supply. After a day the new table is 30 deg around the light, and 20 deg at other end. That seem ok? She seems quite happy running from end to end. Should I water the soil daily? Thanks guys your advice is really helping. 👍

#18 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

She also keeps putting her feet in the water trays, and stand there for a miniute is that normal? Looks like me on holiday, lay in sun then jump in pool because I'm to hot😂

#19 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

She also keeps putting her feet in the water trays, and stand there for a miniute is that normal? Looks like me on holiday, lay in sun then jump in pool because I'm to hot

I'd reduce the temps a little now. Too much activity will cause too much weight loss. With lower temps hunger will reduce along with activity ;)

#20 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Good day, hope you all well, I weighed her again today, and she is 320g so lost 15g in 3 days since she's been in table rather than viv, also the old owners fed her on Komodo tortoise diet pellets and I have only fed fee leafs since I've had her, is this all ok? Maybe due to more exercise? More suitable food?

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users