• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

Also, the 1st few days she was in the table she buried herself at night to sleep, the last 3 nights she just slept on top of soil, any reason why? And is that bad because I see from other post that the soil is good to keep them hydrated.

Andy

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

Good day, hope you all well, I weighed her again today, and she is 320g so lost 15g in 3 days since she's been in table rather than viv, also the old owners fed her on Komodo tortoise diet pellets and I have only fed fee leafs since I've had her, is this all ok? Maybe due to more exercise? More suitable food?

Andy

Morning Andy,

Sorry I've just seen this, the little weight loss could be due to been a little stressed with the change, just keep an eye on her weight I only weigh mine once a month, those pellets are awful and could be why she's so big as they seem to gain weight faster with these, your doing right just feeding her the leafs. x

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:48 AM

Also, the 1st few days she was in the table she buried herself at night to sleep, the last 3 nights she just slept on top of soil, any reason why? And is that bad because I see from other post that the soil is good to keep them hydrated.

Andy

Some of mine dig down on a night others don't but they do sleep under the Carex grass I have in the enclosure so that's fine they have the choice and they know best so I let them decide, my soil is always moist though never dry. x

#24 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

You might find this book helpful regarding diet it's small enough to take out with you when looking for weeds   https://www.facebook...hc_location=ufi. x

#25 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Hi all, can I just check something, daisy keeps trying to climb up the walls of her table, I just found her balanced on her side not able to correct herself! Is this her just being nosey or she not like it on the soil?

#26 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

I had the same situation with the two babies and Sue recommended to reduce a bit the temp of the heat lamps because they were doing this along the sides of the corners where the heat lamps were. And it worked. So if yours do the same nearby the heat lamp then I might work for your tortoise too. Lower temp basically makes them a bit less active.
Hope this helps.
Sabina

#27 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

It's 26-30 one end of table and 20 the other, she seems to do it in the warm and cold areas, maybe just her getting used to New surrounding, I want to hibernate her, but would feel more confident when here weight is steady for few weeks, can I do it around mid December to mid Feb? Or is that to late?

#28 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:22 AM

It's 26-30 one end of table and 20 the other, she seems to do it in the warm and cold areas, maybe just her getting used to New surrounding, I want to hibernate her, but would feel more confident when here weight is steady for few weeks, can I do it around mid December to mid Feb? Or is that to late?

Hi Andy,

No that's not to late to hibernate most of us leave the little ones till the end of Dec any way and hibernate them for 8 weeks through Jan/Feb, you would need to start the wind down period mid Dec. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users