Energy Expenditure And Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hello
Another question:
Do tortoises have higher energy expenditure when there is high optimum temp or when there is low temp/it's cold?
I would assume that they have higher energy expenditure when there is optimal heat because they are more active, digest etc... But do cold temp make them expend energy to same level as optimal heat for example?
But please let me know.
Thank you
Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:51 PM

Because they are cold blooded, they are temperature dependant, so opposite to mammals which are warm blooded. Where mammals can tear about and therefore warm up, tortoises cannot. Is this what you meant Sabina?

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi Sue
Thanks for your reply. For example when I will windown my babies prior to hibernation, the temps will be set gradually lower and lower until they go in the fridge, so will the lower and lower temp during windown make them more spend energy and they use their reserves and therefore loose body mass/energy reserves prior to hibernation?
Or is it the opposite?
Thank you
Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hi Sue
Thanks for your reply. For example when I will windown my babies prior to hibernation, the temps will be set gradually lower and lower until they go in the fridge, so will the lower and lower temp during windown make them more spend energy and they use their reserves and therefore loose body mass/energy reserves prior to hibernation?
Or is it the opposite?
Thank you
Sabina

No, they will use less energy, because unlike mammals the energy won't be spent warming them up ;) Weight lost prior to hibernation should therefore not be true weight, just the emptying of the digestive process. Weight lost during hibernation is mainly water, so if they are losing too much, humidity needs to be increased. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users