12 replies to this topic

#1 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi everyone.
We had our 13 month old horsfield tortoise delivered on Monday evening. I LOVE him!
We bought a "full set up" so ot came with a combined uv and heat lamp. The seller also left an emergency heat only bulb incase the other popped. Well, this morning when I switched on I noticed the lamp was flickering then it dimmed for a while, then it went off. I put the other bulb in and that doesn't work. I have tried another power cable but still nothing. Right now, all I have is a desk lamp to give some heat until I get this sorted.
I went on to amazon to look for a new uv/heat bulb but I am reluctant to buy from there due to some of the reviews saying they weren't legitimate Arcadia bulbs but cheap copies.
Where would you recommend I purchase a new bulb and how can I be sure the the screwy in bit on the bulb will fit where it needs to Oh,and what if the light fitting socket on the table is dodgy.
Oh please help.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hi Vicky welcome to the forum.

Some times the combined bulbs do flicker, have you tried the bulb again, i dont use the Arcadia bulbs i use the Mega-ray bulbs i've used these for some time now and do find them good i've had no problems with them at all here you go   http://www.megaray.c...b016572707a8dfb

To try the light fitting you could just buy a house hold spot bulb there only a pound or two and try one of these in the fitting that way you'll know if it's the fitting or the bulb, if it is the bulb you could leave the spot bulb in for heat until your new bulb arrives hope that helps. x

#3 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thanks so much for your reply.
I think I had a blonde moment this morning because the fixture is actually working now.
I have the spot light in there providing the heat so I just need to order the new combo bulb thingy. I will buy the one you advised so thanks.
Would it be just a coincidence that since I put this ordinary spotlight in he is eating like a trooper, he hasn't eaten a thing since we got him. Could it be a better heater for him or perhaps he is now more settled?
Thanks again. X

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hi Vicky welcome to the forum.
Some times the combined bulbs do flicker, have you tried the bulb again, i dont use the Arcadia bulbs i use the Mega-ray bulbs i've used these for some time now and do find them good i've had no problems with them at all here you go   http://www.megaray.c...b016572707a8dfb
To try the light fitting you could just buy a house hold spot bulb there only a pound or two and try one of these in the fitting that way you'll know if it's the fitting or the bulb, if it is the bulb you could leave the spot bulb in for heat until your new bulb arrives hope that helps. x

I too use megaray, much more robust and very reliable. Sometimes it can be the fitting in the holder that needs tweaking by bending the connections inwards very slightly. Don't forget to disconnect from mains first.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

Thanks so much for your reply.
I think I had a blonde moment this morning because the fixture is actually working now.
I have the spot light in there providing the heat so I just need to order the new combo bulb thingy. I will buy the one you advised so thanks.
Would it be just a coincidence that since I put this ordinary spotlight in he is eating like a trooper, he hasn't eaten a thing since we got him. Could it be a better heater for him or perhaps he is now more settled?
Thanks again. X

Heat and high light levels will always stimulate a healthy tortoise to eat and will increase activity levels. Good luck.

#6 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thanks very much everyone.
How long can he manage without the uv light? I looked at a review for the mega-ray and this bloke waited seven weeks for a delivery. Surely that's too long.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Thanks very much everyone.
How long can he manage without the uv light? I looked at a review for the mega-ray and this bloke waited seven weeks for a delivery. Surely that's too long.

The longest I've waited is about a week, but lately they've come in a few days, are you giving the tort any supplements on his food. x

#8 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Just scraped cuttlefish over his leaves. That's what I was told to do anyway.😕

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

I would order some Nekton msa you can buy it from Amazon it doesn't cost much, only buy a small tub though as it lasts ages, you need to sprinkle a very fine dusting daily on his food, Sue gave a good tip to put a couple of pin holes in the foil lid then you have it as a shaker, make sure you order the one for reptiles and not birds.

What is it your feeding him at the minute. x

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:23 PM

Here you go. x   http://www.ebay.co.u...Q8AAOSwMVdYE2mY

#11 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

I have been putting out salad leaves,pac choi and the only leaves I have found in the garden so far are nasturtium. He has ignored pretty much everything so far but today went nuts for radicchio, ate for about 15mins.
I tried to memorize what leaves he could eat before I went to the supermarket and completely blanked out when I arrived. I must make a list and keep it in my purse for future shopping trips.
Anyone here grow their own?
I have read mixed reviews.

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:10 AM

I have been putting out salad leaves,pac choi and the only leaves I have found in the garden so far are nasturtium. He has ignored pretty much everything so far but today went nuts for radicchio, ate for about 15mins.
I tried to memorize what leaves he could eat before I went to the supermarket and completely blanked out when I arrived. I must make a list and keep it in my purse for future shopping trips.
Anyone here grow their own?
I have read mixed reviews.

The best thing to buy from the shop are Florett crispy salad and romaine lettuce, don't buy any thing with spinach in as a few do, it's better to feed weeds though were possible there's still quite a few about at the minute but you do have to look, you could try adding a few dandelion leaves in with some floret see how he goes with that, this might be helpful on diet  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm I do grow my own food but find it hard to grow in pots I just scatter weed seeds all over my enclosures and they grow well in there until the torts get out and eat it, you could add some seeds to an area in your garden to feed when they've grown I get my seeds here. x    http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#13 vicky and philip

vicky and philip

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Thank you very much for all of your time.
The Spring can't come soon enough. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users