• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Bonjour, My girls have done very well since I last contacted you for advice, they lived out all summer & as we had a very hot one here in France they loved their new cage with room to run around & also go in the little shaded area I made. I expanded their choice of food & dandelion leaves seem to be the favorite of which I have a plentiful supply...the best grow on the manure heap of course.

The last 3 days they have a new probleme in that despite being bathed every other day when they pass their poo, urates & I assume piss they are now pissing in their food bowl every time i empty it, clean & replenish with clean....why? is there a probleme that needs investigating further or what please???

I have now had them since jul 2015 & they have gained 100 gms since I took them in & they were really quite poorly, no UVC or heat lamp previously & stary  dry shells & hardly active whereas now when  they see or hear me they RUN to the food or for me to pick them up....they are much admired by all my friends & I have a long list of tortie sitters if required.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

Bonjour, My girls have done very well since I last contacted you for advice, they lived out all summer & as we had a very hot one here in France they loved their new cage with room to run around & also go in the little shaded area I made. I expanded their choice of food & dandelion leaves seem to be the favorite of which I have a plentiful supply...the best grow on the manure heap of course.

The last 3 days they have a new probleme in that despite being bathed every other day when they pass their poo, urates & I assume piss they are now pissing in their food bowl every time i empty it, clean & replenish with clean....why? is there a probleme that needs investigating further or what please???

I have now had them since jul 2015 & they have gained 100 gms since I took them in & they were really quite poorly, no UVC or heat lamp previously & stary  dry shells & hardly active whereas now when  they see or hear me they RUN to the food or for me to pick them up....they are much admired by all my friends & I have a long list of tortie sitters if required.

Hi,

It's good to hear Ebony and Emily are doing well, the water bowl is just some thing they do tortoises don't like clean they like every thing just how they want it which is normally messy. x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

Glad to hear they are doing well. The reason they poop and pee in the water bowl is because in the wild they hang onto water until they can replace it, so it's an inate thing, an instinct they are born with. They don't empty the bladder when full like we do, but save it to prevent dehydration. Hope this helps.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:44 AM

Im sure mine do it to wind me up Sue, keep me busy changing the water lol. x

#5 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

Thanks gals for the reply altho a slight misunderstanding....they are pissing in their food bowl & all over the FOOD even when just washed & clean food put in...NOT in the water bowl..that they just walk thru it en route to the food making clean water into a muddy pool from the substrate on their feet.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

Im sure mine do it to wind me up Sue, keep me busy changing the water lol. x

Oh there are those with bad manners of course, I've got lots of them lol

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Thanks gals for the reply altho a slight misunderstanding....they are pissing in their food bowl & all over the FOOD even when just washed & clean food put in...NOT in the water bowl..that they just walk thru it en route to the food making clean water into a muddy pool from the substrate on their feet.

Not being funny, but can you use a different word for urination please. That's quite a rude word in the uk and there are children who use the site. Thanks. As for the urinating on food, that's just tortoises I'm afraid, they are essentially wild animals and cannot be house trained. Just give it a quick spray. It's a sign they are probably well hydrated. Good luck ;)

#8 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

My 2 little ones have good manners...Their previous lovely "mama" (Sue) "socialized" them well...  :thumbup:

No passing or walking in the water dishes, they do their small business in the bath dish and on substrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users