Photo

Contagious Diseases/infections Transmissible From Humans To Tortoises?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

Good morning

I am wondering if there are any contagious diseases/infections that can pass on from humans to Hermann tortoises?

I am not sick, but I was wondering about any specific diseases / infections, and also about the more common cold / flu or bronchitis we all get now and then.

Thank you

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi Sabina, there are no diseases of humans that can affect tortoises, other than salmonella and possibly parasitic infections. Some vets will tell you that most parasitic diseases are not zoonotic, so specific to that particular species, but given that cat and dog worms can cause blindness in children and that snails and slugs can cause lungworm in dogs, I am always cautious. It's always good to use antibacterial gel or hand wash when handling tortoises to prevent spread of bacteria and virus's both ways, but this won't protect against parisites. Hope this helps.

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thank you Sue.

For good practice I always wash my hands before and after handling the babies and feeding them, and I use separate towels from my own towels to dry my hands.

So what are the causes of the respiratory disease in tortoises?

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

Usually respiratory problems are to do with cold and damp, but can be caused by too dry conditions, when they may inhale dust, or it can be contagious as is often found with imported or pet shop animals.

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

Do you mean cold and damp combined together? Thanks!

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Yes. Overnight digging down is fine so long as they have a warm and dryer asking spot, but if the whole enclosure is saturated it can lead to problems. Remember the wild, where it's always dry in the sun for basking ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users