4 replies to this topic

#1 toplizzy

toplizzy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Hi,
Please can I have some advice? I have a 14 year old tort, he has never been hibernated. In summer he has a run outside but in winter he lives in our utility room usually found under the radiator. He has always been active throughout winter.
Last year he seemed to sleep in the warmth for a few days so we decided to hibernate him this year. Before we were ready he has taken himself off to bed again! I'm concerned as he was eating the day up to him going for a sleep! He is in a basket, in a towel under the radiator! I check him everyday and he's usually awake and moves when I touch him. What should I do? I'm very concerned? Thanks Liz

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Hi Liz,

I take it your tortoise is a Hermann tortoise, at the minute if your tortoise is just asleep in the basket that's not hibernating that's just him asleep which he will be using his body reserves doing this, you need to be waking  him up and he needs some where with a heat lamp to warm him up, with out a heat lamp he will sleep alot, for tortoises to hibernate they need colder temps of round 5c they also need the correct wind down before hand of no food but heat and soaks to help empty their stomachs and digestive system hope that helps and I haven't read your post wrong. x

#3 toplizzy

toplizzy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hi yes he is a hermann. And agreed he is sleeping and not hibernating! What should I do, heat him up
And a the him but not fee him? 💕

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:36 PM

To wake him up and recover you need the correct set up:
- Tortoise indoor enclosure as bug as possible because he is an adult
- Substrate (plain topsoil)
- A Megaray 100W bulb to give heat and UV.
- The dome for the bulb
- The stands to hold the bulb
- Normal spotlights to create light (but not heat) throughout the enclosure
- Shallow dish for fresh clean water everyday
- Another container to bath your tortoise frequently in lukewarm water, I would recommend you do bath him everyday asap because your tort is probably dehydrated under the radiator.
- A laser thermometer to measure temperature under the Megaray 100W

The temperature under the Megaray 100W should be 30-32 degrees Celsius. Away from the Megaray it should be 20 degrees Celsius.

With heat, UV and normal spotlights he will have normal activity and will be stimulated to move, eat and digest food.

Do you know what good to give him and which quantity?

I am unsure if you want to hibernate him, but this is another subject to address :))) Also your tortoise needs to be healthy and good weight for hibernation. Many keepers on the forum can give you guidance for hibernation preparation /windown and during hibernation and post hibernation when tortoises wake up.

Hope this helps
Sabina

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:31 AM

Hi yes he is a hermann. And agreed he is sleeping and not hibernating! What should I do, heat him up
And a the him but not fee him?

Hi Liz,

Yes I would wake him up and give him a soak, does he have a heat lamp in the area he has for over winter to warm up, if not I would try and set some thing up for him. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users