Length Measurements

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:56 AM

Good morning

Yesterday I tried to measure the length my two Hermann yearlings for the first time and it was difficult.

When I put them on a piece of paper and head against the wall they resisted very strongly with their front legs to get their head in, even if I encouraged them by touching their head and legs. I did not want to use force on them and I actually felt that the experience was stressful for them. So I did not get a measurement.

So my question is: is it really necessary to measure the length of captive tortoises?
Would the plastron length be a method of measurement?

Thank you
Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

No, the plastron length is not the same, being much shorter than straight carapace length. If you pop tinies onto a tape measure and look down on them, it's pretty easy to get a SCL. You ask if it's necessary, no it's not, other than to gauge if they are growing well, as in comparing each years growth. Here's a good way of seeing if they are growing normally. http://www.tlady.cla...tGuide/diet.htm

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

Thanks a lot Sue.

They both fall into my little finger length (front of carapace to back of the carapace), so that's good.

Sabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users