4 replies to this topic

#1 Etienne

Etienne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hi all,

I've just been in to feed and clear unwanted food from Etienne's table.

I put my hand in and he squeaked at me, rubbed his face with a leg, squeaked at me again, turned his back on me and released urine!

Has he suddenly decided he dislikes me? Never done this before!

Thanks

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Hi Etienne

I am a fairly new keeper, and what I have learnt from very experienced keepers on the forum is that tortoises are not domesticated animals, they do not like or dislike their keepers, they associate us with food because we provide the food daily and that's pretty much it and what we think are feelings from them towards us is just our mind's interpretation. I know that when they urinate in conjunction with a human interaction it is a sign of stress, same with squeaky noises they make. May be you unintentionally disturbed your tortoise too suddenly and it was taken by surprise because it was not alert at that moment, may be it did not see your hands coming towards it and did not have time to be aware of your hands approaching and got scared.

Hope this helps
Sabina

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,
I've just been in to feed and clear unwanted food from Etienne's table.
I put my hand in and he squeaked at me, rubbed his face with a leg, squeaked at me again, turned his back on me and released urine!
Has he suddenly decided he dislikes me? Never done this before!
Thanks

Tortoises don't actually squeak at people, but he may have been shocked, drawn his head in and therefore exhaled quickly, which could have made a squeak. If the squeaking continues then I would get him checked by a vet for respiratory problems.

#4 Etienne

Etienne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

He didn't draw his head in, he has drawn it in quite quickly before and I've heard the squeak then. More roaring at me (squeaking) with head fully out like the little dinosaur he is.
He seemed to be OK when I went in a bit later.
He's been quite lethargic of late and after reading some other threads I stuck him in a warm shallow bath for about 45 mins which seemed to perk him up and he released some urates.
Since the temp outside dipped (and thus the room he is in has dipped) he has spent a lot of time under his lamp too but again after reading other threads I've taken out enclosed sleep area on the new table and moved things around a bit to let the temperature flow round his table a bit more.
I'll keep an eye on him though and take him off to the vets if he looks to be getting worse.
As always, thanks for the help!!

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

Tortoises don't vocalise, the only sound they can make is in response to sudden movement of the lungs. Males squeak when mating but again it's not a deliberate noise, just air expelling suddenly. Even when attacking other tortoises they are silent. One thing they don't like is change so he could be reacting to this if his surroundings are different. Breathing with head extending is often respiratory distress, but if he's eating normally it's not so likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users