The Fridge/freezer That I Will Use For Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

Hello

I will use my fridge/freezer in the kitchen to hibernate by two Hermann yearlings. Obviously i will clean/disinfect thoroughly the fridge before and after hibernation and i will not use the fridge to store personal food and beverage during the hibernation.

The reason why i want to use my fridge is because it is a good quality one and reliable brand (Bosch), it has an airflow system for the fridge part and it is fairly new.

Picture of the fridge below.

My question: Is this type of fridge suitable?  

I guess it will be fine and for extra caution i will not put the tortoise boxes at the bottom of the fridge where the vegs drawer is, so that it is away from the freezer, although there is a physical separation between fridge and freezer.

Your opinion would be very appreciated. Please let me know your thoughts and experience for this type of fridge.

Thank you so much.

Sabina

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi Sabina. As I understand it fridge freezers cannot be used as there is a higher risk of problems. I'm not sure what these are as I don't use a fridge. I'm sure someone will explain the reason.

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

Thanks, I'll wait for additional feedback.
If it turns out to be not recommended I'll buy a small larder fridge this weekend :))

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

To be on the safe side I bought a larder fridge this morning because when yesterday i looked at the specifications of my kitchen fridge, the system uses the cool air of the freezer (freezer is bottom part) to cool the fridge (fridge is upper part).

I don't want to risk anything with the two little ones.

Sabina

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

I think that would be a much better idea Sabina. Much safer for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users