• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa

Elsa

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

Hello, im a new owner of a hermann tortoise and i'm trying to figure out how to take good care of it. 

Could you give me some tips about what kind of vegetables/fruits i should be feeding it?

Thank you in advance!

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

Hi, welcome to tortoise keeping. You really don't want to feed any fruit or veg to your little one as this doesn't give a good balance and can upset the gut quite badly. I'm guessing you didn't get him from a breeder, so won't have been given a care plan. This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm Remember to try to keep his diet and his substrate as natural as possible and don't use any form of commercial diets. Good luck :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:28 AM

Hi Elsa, welcome to the forum.

As Sue has already said no fruit or veg should be fed, you want to be feeding a weed, plant, flower diet only as this is what's best for your tortoise, there is still quite a few weeds about at the minute to get you over till spring, if you do struggle to find them then you can feed some Florette crispy salad from the shop, these links might help a little  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htmand this is a really good book to help know what to feed and help you id them  https://www.facebook...hc_location=ufi hope that helps. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users