3 replies to this topic

#1 DanUK

DanUK

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hello all!
I'm a new proud Hermanns owner and this will be our first winter with our 3 year old friend!
She is kept on a 5x3 tortoise table, which we keep in our detatched, unheated, brick built garage. This allows us to give our new family member a bigger living area than if we had it in the house.
All temperature and lighting requirements are met in the daytime, and I have a ceramic heater for night time heating.
My issue is - now that the temperatures are starting to plummet here in the UK, my ceramic heater is now struggling to keep up the ambiant temp overnight.
I have considered making a smaller, 'mobile home' complete with substrate, that I could bring into the house every night (for consistency) during the two worst winter months - but I thought I would bring that idea to this forum first for advice!
Many thanks in advance.

#2 DanUK

DanUK

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

I should point out that this could be the only winter I do not hibernate our shelled buddy - I want to spend the year gaining experience before I hibernate safely next year, when he is 4. Thanks again.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

Hello all!
I'm a new proud Hermanns owner and this will be our first winter with our 3 year old friend!
She is kept on a 5x3 tortoise table, which we keep in our detatched, unheated, brick built garage. This allows us to give our new family member a bigger living area than if we had it in the house.
All temperature and lighting requirements are met in the daytime, and I have a ceramic heater for night time heating.
My issue is - now that the temperatures are starting to plummet here in the UK, my ceramic heater is now struggling to keep up the ambiant temp overnight.
I have considered making a smaller, 'mobile home' complete with substrate, that I could bring into the house every night (for consistency) during the two worst winter months - but I thought I would bring that idea to this forum first for advice!
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. :) 

I think you will struggle with temps at this time of year in an unheated garage, do you know how low the temps are getting in there at the minute with this cold weather, you could take her in on a night but it might be a little confusing for her with the different temps as your house over night would probably have higher ambient temps than she's having through the day, tortoises don't like change even different enclosures, it might be a better idea to make her a smaller enclosure indoors just for the next couple of months and then re-think things, or you could add an oil filled radiator on a thermostat in the garage to keep the temps up over night. :) 

#4 DanUK

DanUK

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

hank you for that! The last thing I want to do is stress the poor girl in any way. I think I will put a divide in the enclosure for the next 8 weeks so the ceramic heat emitter has less area to cover to keep warm. I have been checking temps regularly (I have built in 4 temp readers and probes in the key areas, I am a little obsessed!) But the lowest temp is getting closer and closer to 10-15°, when it's -1° outside with freezing fog, which obviously we don't want to happen.
I have been worried that a cold night could make her want to hibernate but she's been doing well so far, eating, drinking, basking etc. She has a bath each morning (which she loves) and has become very much part of our daily lives and routines.
Thank you for your help! 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users