• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Wizz

Johnny Wizz

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

I am looking before a supplier of good sized tables and I am a DIY disaster. Any recommendations?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Unfortunately most commercial tables are really overpriced, along with containing uneccesary hide areas and lack of depth for substrate. You say you are a diy disaster, but have you thought of using an old bookcase laid on its back and lined with pond liner? Depending on the size of your tortoise, large indoor rabbit cages are a good option, also keeping the tortoise safe from other pets.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

I agree with Sue some of the tables you buy are not the best, i've used bookcases my self as tables they work really well and are easy to do, or do you not know of any one that can make one for you. :)

#4 Sarahemily

Sarahemily

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Labrador and first time tortoise owner, psychology student, harry potter fanatic.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hello, I've just joined so apologies if i should make a new topic but my question is pretty much the same.

I'm also attempting to make a new table for a Hermann's I rescued a few days ago, current table is so tiny I feel sorry for the little tort! My question is, seeing as my partner works in B&Q I'm hoping to get MDF from there, make the table, use caulk sealant, and then use a water based seal to treat the wood, and of course leave for a while before I put her into it after using these paints/seals. Does that sound okay so far? I'm so worried I don't want to go wrong!

Sarah

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

You need to line the table to make it waterproof. Not sure a water based sealant would do this. I'd look at making an outdoor area first and foremost though as tables are really only for tinies and at either end of the season. Substrate needs to be slightly damp and never completely dried out. Outdoors is different of course as there is a naturally higher humidity level. Hope this helps.

#6 Sarahemily

Sarahemily

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Labrador and first time tortoise owner, psychology student, harry potter fanatic.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Sorry, yes I meant to add I would be putting tarp at the base. I'm also in the process of making a run for her in the garden, but because the weather is so tempremental at the moment and her current table is terriblly small I want to change it all as quickly as possible, she's still settling in at the moment so im worried it may be even more stressful if she settles in to my home and then a month later is changed to a new table. in relation to subtrate, previous owners have given me topsoil, I've read water should be sprayed onto it to make it moist/humid, should I be doing this?

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Torts reaction to a change in environment is something they are born with as a reaction against predators. People have similar problems when they take torts in at night and out again in the day for around the same length of time, so they are best left outdoors with added heating, so the tort can choose for himself when he goes in and out. Spraying water doesn't really work as it sits on the top and then evaporates, leaving the soil underneath as dry as before. It's better to water thesubstrate and let it soak in, leaving the bottom damp and the top drier, as in nature outdoors. The key is to let the tortoise choose the place he wants to dig down into. They are very clever at knowing what is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users