• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Derek has been in hibernation for 3 weeks. I hadn't checked on him as I try to wait until he is fully settled, so usually wait until after 4 weeks. His fridge has been stable at 5degrees, up until today when it went up to 8degrees. I have temporarily moved him into our kitchen fridge as I am struggling to get the temperature in his fridge to cool back down. I've noticed that he has moved so possibly woken up, should I abort the hibernation or keep going if I can get his fridge back to normal? Also, if it's ok to keep going but I cant get his fridge back to normal temps, will he be ok in the kitchen fridge?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Firstly, tortoises always move in hibernation, usually as a response to temperature changes. They move up and down depending on the weather. Where is your fridge? Very often fridges in sheds or cold areas have problems stabilising, so this might be your problem. He will be fine in the kitchen fridge. Is he very small?

#3 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

He is 4.5years old and weighs 294g.

His fridge is in our kitchen but it is not as warm as the rest of the house, its about 15degrees.

I think his fridge is broken as its now gone up to 10degrees, even with the additional fan on to try and cool it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users