• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Finaly squirt as started eat and moving around alot today after he woke up yesterday and basking all day yesterday so i thought id go buy him some fresh soil. And might be a daft question but a friend as got a female horsefield about 3 year old and ask me if i would mate mine with his but i wouldnt know where to start any info would be very greatful ie what the right age to do it

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

Finaly squirt as started eat and moving around alot today after he woke up yesterday and basking all day yesterday so i thought id go buy him some fresh soil. And might be a daft question but a friend as got a female horsefield about 3 year old and ask me if i would mate mine with his but i wouldnt know where to start any info would be very greatful ie what the right age to do it
Thanks in advance

Firstly it's good to know Squirt is back to normal. It's a good feeling after all the worry isn't it.
Secondly, no offence but I think your friend needs to do a bit more research before thinking about breeding. A three year old is still a baby, you are looking at no younger than ten to fifteen years for breeding. The tortoises also need to be in first class health and the female needs to be outdoors to choose a decent nesting site (or have large very deep soil enclosure which can't be achieved easily indoors). Without this sort of prep, there is a very real danger of egg binding and possible death. She won't lay until she finds the tight site. Then there is the very real danger of cross contamination. Luckily most imported horsfields build up a good immunity after importation, but so many are carriers of untreatable diseases, which can surface when introduced to another one, especially under such circumstances as breeding, which is stressful to them. It's really not as easy as just hoping for the best. Mating a male can also make them become much more aggressive in the future. Just a few things to think about carefully before going ahead ;)

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

Its been awful not knowing when he was going to wake up but least i will be more prepared this year and i was to sure about it but thought id look into it and are they better kept on thier own i wod realy like to get another one but not sure what they would be like kept in same table

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:15 AM

The thing is, horsfields are the most aggressive species of tortoise. It's hard to imagine when you only have one and has to be seen to be believed.The only way they will live together if not two females, is with lots of space, so a table is out of the question for anything but hatchlings. There is a short clip of typical horsfield behaviour in this section www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm if you do decide to get more, there's still the problem of cross contamination, so at least 12 months quarantine is essential, plus you will need several females to one male and lots of space. Hope this helps

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:56 AM

Hi Gary, it's good to hear Squirt's doing well, as Sue has already said i would think twice about getting another tortoise unless you have space to keep them on their own at all times if needed, i keep a group of Horsfield's myself and the males can be quite nasty at times, i do keep a lot more females than males they also have a very large area so can get away from each other if needed. :)

#6 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

That you for all the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users