Photo

Are Moles Predators For Small Hermann Tortoises (1Y+ Old Babies)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hi there

Do you know if moles are predators for small Hermann tortoises. The two Hermann babies are 17 months currently.

I am asking because i have started the design of their outdoors enclosure.

I know that rodents and foxes are predators, and i was wondering about moles.

Thank you

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

I've never really thought about moles. I live in the countryside, but have never seen them in the gardens around here. I know they generally eat earthworms, but imagine they are capable of eating bigger prey. I can't see them coming looking for tortoises, but wouldn't put an enclosure in places frequented by moles, not least because of the tunnels they make. You could always put wire mesh linked together, a few inches below the surface of your enclosure for little ones protection. I'm sure someone else will come along who knows more about them ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:56 AM

Not really some thing i've thought about either as i've nevr had one in my garden, i think if you get them in your garden it's best to think of them as a risk to be on the safe side. :) 

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Thank you very much for your feedback Sue and Karen.

I have never seen one either or signs of their presence, and never seen their holes in the whole garden.

Except..... 3-4 years ago...., there was the head of a mole with the veins hanging hidden behind the hose box in the garden. I think that was the remaining a fox's pray and the next day it disappeared.

But I will keep in mind that i can still add some extra security for peace of mind in the outdoor enclosure.

Sabina

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thank you very much for your feedback Sue and Karen.
I have never seen one either or signs of their presence, and never seen their holes in the whole garden.

Except..... 3-4 years ago...., there was the head of a mole with the veins hanging hidden behind the hose box in the garden. I think that was the remaining a fox's pray and the next day it disappeared.

But I will keep in mind that i can still add some extra security for peace of mind in the outdoor enclosure.

Sabina

Oh yuk! Not a nice find. Talking of predators, I've just seen a raptor of some kind hovering over the gardens here. Obviously not looking at tortoises just yet, but it makes you wary. Now if they'd come and decimate the crow population I'd be a happy tortoise Mum ;)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Oh yuk! Not a nice find. Talking of predators, I've just seen a raptor of some kind hovering over the gardens here. Obviously not looking at tortoises just yet, but it makes you wary. Now if they'd come and decimate the crow population I'd be a happy tortoise Mum ;)

Crow's and seagulls are a right pain around here, mind you it doesn't help with the lady next door feeding them. :huh: 

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Crow's and seagulls are a right pain around here, mind you it doesn't help with the lady next door feeding them. :huh:

Gordon Bennet that's as daft as feeding rats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users