• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

A mate of mine as got a 4/5 year old hermann and asked me to ask would it be ok to get another he lets his have the run of house so theres lots of space
Thanks

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

If he gives his tortoise the run of the house then it's definitely not a good idea to have another one. This sort of husbandry has many pitfalls. Incorrect substrate, inability to dig, low levels of uvb, dangers of wires, being trodden on, poor radiant heat etc etc. The list is endless. Obviously people will do what they want to in the end, but without correct care, it would be sad to keep two tortoises this way. Personally I wouldn't sell to anyone who I knew was going to keep them this way, it can only 'work' for so long and then a vet will be needed sadly.

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

He as got a in door rabbit cage all set up with heat lamp uv top soil and he goes in and out when he wants to but he as said hes thinking of transofering him into the garden

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

I agree with Sue, keeping tortoises this way is not the best idea tortoises are best kept in their enclosures at all time for a number of reasons one been left to roam the house can be stressful for them, just some thing for your friend to think about if they did get another tortoise they would need to keep the new one quarantined for a year to make sure it's got no underlying problems some tortoises carry viruses that can kill other tortoises, this would mean no contact at all in the house or garden then the last thing to think about is if they will get on two males might not get on at all some do if they have plenty of space one male and one female wont work either so a lot for your friend to think about first. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users