• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LauraBellis

LauraBellis

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

I'm just looking for some advice on outdoor heating for my 10 year old Hermann tortoise Arthur. Up until this year Arthur has lived indoors in a tortoise table with a UVA/UVB lamp as well as the heating from the house. I would then put him outside when the weather was nice. I'm trying to recreate his natural habitat a bit better so last year when doing up the garden I built a shed. I'm looking at moving Arthur's tortoise table out into the shed so he can come and go As he pleases. My questions for those who have already done this are:

What additional outdoor heating will be required for the shed. I've read that greenhouse tubular heaters are a good option, is this the best method?
Am I ok to create a small opening in his tortoise table and the shed so he can let himself in and out or are there any dangers to this?
Is he ok to stay out in the shed during the night time and should I just leave his heater on rather than the basking lamp?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Karen is the best one to listen to on this sort of enclosure, her setups are second to none. To be honest I'd ditch the tortoise table altogether as at ten years old, he needs a very large area. All of my hermanns are outdoors 24/7 as soon as the danger of frost is past. They have catflap access, which you can lock against predators overnight. You should see a huge difference in Arthur once he's outdoors full time. Would love to see pics of him. Has he hibernated?

#3 LauraBellis

LauraBellis

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for your help, I'd seen a couple of Karen's posts which was where I got the idea for the tubular greenhouse heater. That's great I'll get on of those.

To be honest he spent most of the summer outside last year, I only bring him in of a night and put him in the tortoise table of an evening to make sure he doesn't go missing as he likes to bury himself in the garden.

I hadn't thought of putting a cat flap in the shed, will run it past the husband and see what he thinks.

Can I ask what month you put your tortoises outside then as I tend to leave him inside until about May as I worry about him? He's hibernated for the last 4 years, I'm about to wake him up this weekend so I'm getting things ready for him this week.

I've attached an image for you. This one was last year before he hibernated.

Attached Files

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:43 AM

Hi Laura,

I moved my tortoises into a heated shed a few years ago now and it works really well they live in there 24/7 mine also has a tunnel so they can come and go as they please, for heating i don't use a tube heater i have a panel heater mounted on the wall this is to a themostat so keeps the temperature to what ever it's set at it also has two basking lamps in there.

I think it would be best not to add the table to the shed but make the base of the shed one big enclosure and adding a cat flap or some thing in the shed will give a more natural space that he can come and go as he pleases. :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Agree with Karen, they are best left out 24/7. Bringing them in at night means they are having warmer temps overnight than in the day, which isn't natural for them. Burying outdoors is a natural behaviour and something that needs to be encouraged. It helps with good growth too. May to September is fine for outdoor enclosures, but mine go out earlier than this with greenhouse accomodation..

#6 LauraBellis

LauraBellis

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm just being overly protective as he buried himself in the garden the year before last and I didn't see him for 8 months. He emerged on a sunny day in April looking like a mud coloured rock 😀.

I think I will do that with the shed then and just get a couple of basking lamps and a heater. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again ladies xx

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm just being overly protective as he buried himself in the garden the year before last and I didn't see him for 8 months. He emerged on a sunny day in April looking like a mud coloured rock .

I think I will do that with the shed then and just get a couple of basking lamps and a heater. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again ladies xx

Hi, yes keep us updated on the shed   :) 

It's later in the year like September time you need to keep an eye on them digging in as they can stay there for the winter he will be fine through the warmer months. :) 

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm just being overly protective as he buried himself in the garden the year before last and I didn't see him for 8 months. He emerged on a sunny day in April looking like a mud coloured rock .
Thanks again ladies xx

Aha, well I should have mentioned that you have to be extra vigilant from September onwards, but if in his own permanent area, you would be able to find him easier, or put old carpet etc over the top for protection if he was underground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users