Natural Barrier For Outdoor Enclosures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Because i want to create a natural barrier for the outdoor enclosure of my baby tortoises, i was thinking about stones rather then a flat smooth surface, but then the challenge with stones was the heaviness etc.

After thinking out of the box and trying to be creative, I found some natural stone panels which look good, they are for outdoors. The ones which look good are with the large stones.

I think they will suit my purpose and i wanted to share the link with you in case you are interested. 

Here is the link:

http://www.realstone...nel-system.html

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Are you thinking of using them to make a wall, or flat Sabina. I used to have a wall like this in my old garden as a retaining wall. The tortoises would climb it to get into the raised garden. Once they can gain a foothold, it's surprising what they can climb. If you are using them flat, then they will work. Remember too that corners make good escape areas if the sides are not flat. My neighbour once knocked on my door to tell me Wizza was half way up a wire fence, little monkey. There had been boarding at the bottom so he didn't see straight out, but he still managed to climb. Smooth walls are pretty essential if you don't want escapes sadly.

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Sue. I was thinking using them as a wall, the enclosure will be secured on top with a wooden structure in mesh wire, and the corners closed on top.

I was thinking of natural barriers because in the German book of Wolfgang Wegehaupy they talk about natural barriers as fence.

Otherwise if the stone panels are not a good idea as the babies grow, the enclosure walls will be untreated timber.

The enclosure will be dug like a swimming pool and with a well drained soil because the soil in the garden is London clay.

What do you think given the additional background I have?

Thanks
Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Ah, well if the area is covered it shouldn't be a problem Sabina. Remember though they are very strong and if they can lift the top they will ;) Your sunken idea is perfect.

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Thank you Sue. The plan is to make mesh cover impossible to lift or open, it will hinge from the top and fastened with several locks. It will be fitted around the enclosure in a way that no small living creatures or can get in or out and no predator will be able to open the cover and grab the babies.

I found these too, look good too because no cement necessary and look natural, they are stacking blocks. It enables to grow the square footage of the enclosure and also to make curves and less angular shapes. And you can stack them at the vertical (to avoid the angle), so that's good. The rock textured side can face the inside of the enclosure.

http://www.terraforc...e/Rockface.html

Attached Files

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Wow, those look good, looks as though you could grow plants in the top of them too. Those are two lucky babies you have there ;) The little ones will keep their beaks and claws in trim too as they explore the surfaces.

#7 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

I saw this type of blocks on pictures of tortoise enclosures on German websites and they look really cool with plants growing in them.
Sabina

#8 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

FYI 

The majority of the material in the Terraforce blocks is limestone (limestone grit, limestone dust), then in less quantity sand and cement to seal everything together.

The blocks are made in 3 colors: reddish pink, buff (which is a yellowish cream) and grey.

Only the grey blocks have no artificial pigments. So I am going for these ones.

Terraforce UK manufacture the block called L15 block. The interesting one is the L15 block which is split and showing the rockface. Link below.

http://terraforceuk....s_splitface.htm

Sabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users