Heat/uv Lamp For Outdoors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hello

Which good Heat/UV lamp and dome would you recommend for an outdoor enclosure please?

I am planning to put one inside the cold frame i bought for my two Hermann babies (photo of cold frame below). It will be used in the morning to get them going and i guess on bad UK weather.

Also would you have any recommendations on how to put the lamp in the cold frame: suspended or on a stand???

Because the cold frame has an automatic lifter to open the top of the cold frame according to the outside temp, i want to avoid any electrical disaster with the lamp should the elements come into play. That's why i am asking for a suitable HEAT/UV lamp and dome for outdoors.

Thank you for your advice

Sabina

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Hi, there's no special lamps for outside use just the same as indoors so you need to make sure the area your adding them to is waterproof and safe. :) 

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

I just use the normal pig lamp fittings, but don't add uvb to outdoor areas. The amount of time spent in the sun gives them the uv they need. You can of course still use Nekton if they are not venturing out so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users