Outdoor House/shelter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hello

I am looking to buy a small wooden shelter that I can make bottomless, insulate on the 4 sides, add heater and thermostat to it. It will serve as a night shelter for my two Hermann babies.

I have looked on the internet and found this type.

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=272544521408

http://www.ebay.co.u...738.m2548.l4275

I believe this is what most people use as a base and improve it for their tortoise. BUT my only concern is the treated wood against weather. Do you think this is a problem? I will insulate the inside of the hutch though.

Any feedback is very much welcome.

Thank you

Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

Hi Sabina,

What sort of heater are you thinking of adding to this, if it's basking heat bulbs then you would need to make sure they are high enough to hold these, the treated wood will be fine against the weather you can always re treat the wood to keep on top of it. :) 

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

I use this sort of hide for the boys in the naughty corner Sabina. It's not in use yet this year, but the pics will give the idea. It's got an outdoor socket really close too, with an RCD cutout. For tinies you would need to lower it to the ground and obviously remove the bottom piece for digging in. Mine is for temporary use for bad weather to give the girls a rest, usually they just dig down in the area to the side of it.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users