• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I have an eight year old hermann tortoise (Rocky) who mainly lives inside on a tortoise table. He goes outside in a pen during the day in the summer. We would like to build him a more permanent outdoor enclosure and wondered if he could live in this all year round? If so, would it need to have a heat lamp?  We have done lots of research and found lots of ideas but some of these contradict each other so we would like some advice. We are okay about the substrate, fencing and weeds etc needed but would value some advice about heating and whether we should bring him in at night or in the winter. Should the enclosed have a cover on it too (we live next to some woods and there is a lot of wildlife around)? He measures about 5 1/2 inches long and I would worry a bird or other predator may get him.

We haven't hibernated him yet as we were told when we bought him that we would not need to. Having read some things on here though, I wonder if this was poor advice? If we were to hibernate him, some advice on this would be gratefully received too.

Thank you

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:50 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum, :) 

At Rocky's age it will be loads better for him living outside 24/7 for mine I have a heated shed this has all been insulated with heat lamps added it also has a heater on a thermostat for back ground heat to use at either end of the warmer weather, Sue uses a greenhouse for hers with a heat lamp added this also works really well, which ever way you go you will need a basking lamp for cooler days or mornings to get him going, my shed has a tunnel out so my torts can come and go as they please into a large enclosure I don't have this covered, but I do cover my babies due to the birds around here, other predators like rats need to be thought about that they can't get into the enclosure.

As for hibernation I always hibernate mine every winter unless I feel their not 100% hibernation is part of their natural life and I do try to replace that the best I can, there's different ways to hibernate one using the box method and the other using the fridge method a wind down period of no food is needed before you hibernate and also the right temperature is needed, we can go into more detail about this if you would like. :) 

#3 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Karen. That's really helpful. I'm so glad I have found this forum. I'll have a look at some photos of other people's on here to get some ideas of what it could look like. I'd love to pick your brains about hibernation nearer the time :-)

What temperature do you have your lamps at? At the moment inside we have a 160w Arcadia basking lamp. Is this what we would need outside? If so, would this be enough or would we need a heater as well?

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Karen. That's really helpful. I'm so glad I have found this forum. I'll have a look at some photos of other people's on here to get some ideas of what it could look like. I'd love to pick your brains about hibernation nearer the time :-)
What temperature do you have your lamps at? At the moment inside we have a 160w Arcadia basking lamp. Is this what we would need outside? If so, would this be enough or would we need a heater as well?

If you are making an enclosure, Karen's are the ones to imitate. Mine are free range, but do have access to a greenhouse when they choose. Is your lamp just a basking lamp as you also need uvb indoors. Outdoors, just heat is needed as the sun does the rest ;)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hi, this is my enclosure hopefully it will give you some ideas. :) 

SAM_2356_zps17ttyomh.jpg

SAM_2320_zpsif3q8hyw.jpg

SAM_2353_zps45d29a21.jpg  

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:40 AM

Hi, have a look at the outdoor enclosure section to get more ideas, any questions you have just ask, and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have on hibernation nearer the time. :) 

#7 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Karen. Your enclosure looks amazing - lots of ideas there. I'll get on and do some more planning. The lamp we have indoors has UV so we will aim to replicate that in the indoor part, unless we only need a heater rather than a basking lamp too? Thanks again for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: housing, enclosure, outdoor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users