• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aroo63

aroo63

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

My aged parents own two tortoises. One i believe to be a Hermann and the other a spur thigh,

they are are 40 years plus in age. Unfortunately they are too much for them to take care of.

Is it possible for us to sell them legally ?.

Best regards.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hi welcome to the forum.

As these tortoises are old they wont have a certificate that's needed these days to sell Hermann's and Spurs they also need to be micro chipped but they can be gifted/ rehomed which Sue ( wizzasmum ) on the forum could maybe help with, i dont know if you can apply for certs for these im sure Sue will be along soon to help more. x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

It's very unlikely that DEFRA/ Animal Health will issue certs now for these, but it's always worth a try. If you stated that they came into the country via the pet trade prior to 1984 which I'm assuming is the case, then they just might, but you would still need to get them microchipped first. It's illegal to sell them without a chip or certificate but as Karen says, perfectly legal to gift them. It wouldn't be easy though to Home them together as they are different species, unless to a person with no other tortoises. If you pop pics up, we can I'd them for you. Take photos from above and below and possibly from behind too, to show the rear of the shell. Hope this helps ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users