• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nicola

Nicola

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Does anyone know of a tortoise hibernation service in Surrey? I don't have facilities or an environment suitable to hibernate one in my own home. My mum needs me to take on the family tortoise as she's struggling to bend down etc nowadays to pick it up/feed it etc.

Thanks.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

There is this link I came across about a year ago when I was doing research and educating myself prior to get my torts
http://tortoiseboard...ibernation.html

They are in Dorset.

You have to ask them to confirm they do not mix torts even if they are the same specie and also hygiene conditions when they manipulate many torts, because your own tort could be at risk of contamination from another tort.
Also they ask owners to do the wind down / preparation prior to refrigeration. They take care of the refrigeration.

If your tort has done many hibernations before it is wiser you learn how to do it and not risk your tort to be in contact with others torts you don't know about. There is a lot of information on hibernation on this forum and very experience keepers who would be more than happy to help you with advices.

I hope this help.

Sabina

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'd be very wary of sending any tortoise to a place where others are hibernating, as this is when their immunity is at its lowest. Even under refrigeration there's a risk of contamination in the same fridge as others. Personally I would not risk it as it's so easy to forget to wash your hands thoroughly if distracted. Although I do take some youngsters back for hibernation periods, these are my own bred tortoises that have not been in contact with others and being only too aware of the dangers of cross contamination, with increasing cases of deadly chelonian herpes virus, even then they are kept well away from my own. If you could find a friend or family member who could offer the right conditions, this would be much better for your tortoise. Hope you can find someone.

#4 Nicola

Nicola

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Thank you both for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users