• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

I was just wondering if anyone could take a look at my tortoises and just see, from looking, if their shells look right and just generally if they appear healthy? They are 5years old and weigh 210g and 216g. There's so much conflicting advice out there. I just would really Appreciate reassurance... or advice if not looking as should! They are very friendly tortoises. Always come over to us when we go near the cage (looking for more food probably) and are happy wandering round the garden (usually following me or my daughter) when I can supervise them out of the enclosure. Is this normal, happy, healthy tortoise behaviour? KateAttached File  20170526_112310.jpg   71.6KB   0 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hi Kate,

They look fine in the picture, you could add some more pictures of the shell with one from the side so we could look better at them but their weights seem as though they've grown nice and slow which is what you want, they do get used to the hand that feeds them so will come over to you when your around as they think it's food time, do they have an outside enclosure at all. :) 

#3 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Attached File  20170527_162804.jpg   37.04KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20170527_162754.jpg   39.44KB   1 downloads

Thank you for your reply. Here they are from the sides. Their enclosure for the summer is outside but I have a very secure garden and have only grown tortoise friendly plants. So when I'm out there to keep a watch on them, I take them out and give them full run of it :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:50 AM

They both look great Kate, i would say just keep doing what your doing plenty of time outside and a good diet. :) 

#5 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

Thank you! These are my first tortoises and there is so much to worry about to make sure you get it perfect for them! Hibernation being the biggest minefield lol! So it's good to know I seem to be on the right track :)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:14 AM

Hi, have you hibernated them before. :) 

#7 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

I didn't hibernate them the first or second year I had them but I've done it the 3 years. I read on here that it's important not to wait until they are older as some websites recommend:)

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

I didn't hibernate them the first or second year I had them but I've done it the 3 years. I read on here that it's important not to wait until they are older as some websites recommend:)

Absolutely, it's the first few years that set the growth pattern, so if you get it wrong and dont hibernate either, so not giving them a rest, then you will set the uneven growth pattern so often seen in captive tortoises. They should actually gain very little weight in those first years. A wild one would still be well under 100 grams at four years of age. Faster growth in later years doesn't seem to affect the growth pattern at all As the shape is well set by then. The websites that recommend not hibernating before five years are usually commercial ones, as if you did it wrong and the tortoise died, they would be bothered about it affecting their reputation. Nobody goes around in the wild rescuing baby tortoises for the first few winters and there is no evidence that any die in hibernation other than those dug up by predators, which wouldn't happen in captivity :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users