• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mr burns and sheldon

mr burns and sheldon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

iv just adopted two males and know nothing about them lol.. 

hope to find out as much as i can from here

regards

Al.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hopefully the previous owner gave you a little advice. If you are talking adults, then be careful, being males that they do not fight. The more room they have, the less chance of fighting, also giving no females around helps too. The main requirements are heat and uvb lamp, together with a decent diet. If outdoors the best uvb is from the sun, but they will still need heat for poor weather days. This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com

#3 mr burns and sheldon

mr burns and sheldon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hopefully the previous owner gave you a little advice. If you are talking adults, then be careful, being males that they do not fight. The more room they have, the less chance of fighting, also giving no females around helps too. The main requirements are heat and uvb lamp, together with a decent diet. If outdoors the best uvb is from the sun, but they will still need heat for poor weather days. This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com

hi wizz, iv got 2 males about 3 yrs old.  the viv's a four foot glass door jobby and its got a 75w exo terra heat lamp and a repti glo 10% uv lamp. iv got a sand type substrate and they seem quite happy in that.

iv put some kale and red peppers in with some multi vits and calcium.

Al.

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

Al,

Please can you send pics of your 2 tortoises? Do you know which specie they are? How do you know they are two males at this age? Do you have pics of their full extended tails showing the orifice?

If they are Mediterranean like Hermann, Gracea, please read below.

Below are some advises. Pardon my abrupt content, I tried to keep it to the basics and essentials for the suitable husbandry of Mediterranean tortoises in captivity (from what I have learnt).

1) Indoor enclosure:

Glass vivarium is totally unsuitable because

- It provides no temperature gradient/spectrum for them to thermo-regulate. Basically it is stuffy in the whole vivarium, not good for tortoises.

- The tortoises will try to get through the glass constantly because they see through, this will get them drive crazy and very stressed.

Please post of pic of vivarium to see how it is. May be you can remove the glass panels.

Alternatively you can buy a good size rabbit cage instead or make a tortoise table with a drawer or a shelf cabinet.

2) Substrate: 

Sand type is not suitable. 

You need plain top soil or coconut coir.

If top soil is used, you need to water it on the edge of the 4 walls of the enclosure, the aim it to have the soil damp underground and dry on top (like in a pot where a plant would be)

If coconut coir is used, you need to frequently make the coir damp but not soaked. Basically you poor water gradually and mix it all until you get the correct dampness.

3) Food:

Vegetables and fruits are not suitable. Kale, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, rocket, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, beetroot, squash, courgette etc are not suitable.

Please feed with mature weeds (dandelions and their flowers, plantains etc). Weeds are free outdoors. Try to give a different type of weeds each day or at least some variety during the week. Only feed very little clover occasionally because clover is too high in protein that is not good for torts.

Wash the leaves with water and sprinkle like dust a very small pinch of your supplement.

Below is a list of weed names and also seeds to buy if you would like to grow. if you grow, only give fully grown weeds.

http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

if you have doubts about a weed, please ask this forum. Someone will be able to identify the weed and tell if the weed is safe.

4) Food quantity:

For your tortoises: 2-3 good size weed leaves each day would be sufficient for both of them. Resist the temptation to feed too much. Not good for tortoises to be overfed even if they eat all the food you give them, they are programmed to eat and eat. Other can comments on food quantity as mine are only 20 months old and i give them 2 leaves max each day.

Hide the food so that they search for it, do not put it on a plate and don't serve it in front of them.

5) Food supplement:

When you finish your supplement, buy some Nekton MSA. Choose the smaller tub of 40gr, and get a new one every two months because the product expires after two months. Again the dose is proportional to the weight of tortoises, not to the quantity of food given. For your torts, it would be a small pinch sprinkled like dust on the leaves.

6) Hydration:

Provide fresh water daily in shallow recipients for your tortoises

Soak your tortoises in  very shallow luck warm water 3-4 times a week for 15-20 minutes. Water should not go above the base of the carapace/shell. If they want to get out of the water sooner, change the water because it has gone too cold for them.

When soaked they will absorb water and probably drink some water, When being soaked in luck warm water, they might also poop, urinate and pass out a creamy white liquid called urates. The more liquid the urates is the better because it means they are well hydrated.

7) Lamps: Heat + UV

Do you know how long the lamps have been in use for (how old are they?)

Do you have a laser thermometer to measure temps under the heat lamp?

8) Clean up daily the poo droppings.

Clean up daily uneaten food, soiled substrate.

Clean water dishes daily.

9) Do not let your torts walking around your house/flat. They must stay in their suitable enclosure.

10) Do you have an outdoor space for their future outdoor enclosure? This is a subject we can talk about later though. The more important is to get the basics right first.

That's all i can think of for now, i hope this helps. And i hope this is not too overwhelming for you. Being a tortoise keeper is quite a commitment and dedication.

Sabina

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

iv just adopted two males and know nothing about them lol.. 

hope to find out as much as i can from here

regards

Al.

Hi I would just like to say welcome to the forum. :) 

You'll find all the advice on care and diet here so any questions just ask there's always someone around happy to help, you've already had some great advice. :) 

#6 mr burns and sheldon

mr burns and sheldon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

pics as requested

Attached Files

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip