Transition From Indoors To Outdoors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Hello.

How can I make a smooth transition for my two Hermann babies (21 months old) from indoors to their newly finished outdoors enclosure?

Would it be to do this on a sunny day, transfer them in the morning when they are sleepy, cold and unaware of their adventures and put them in the cold frame and switch on the pig lamp?

What temp (ambient and ground) should be maintained in the cold frame at night for babies of this age?

The cold frame has all the equipment to keep a suitable temp at night (small heater for caravan with thermostat and infrared ceramic heater with pulse thermostat).

Thanks!
Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

When I do mine Sabina I choose a warm day, pop them in the heated area and let them think they are escaping I don't take any notice of ambient temps overnight at this time of year, unless we are forecast any freak weather. I only ever use a pulse thermostat on incubators as it's realistic to have temperature changes overnight in the wild too

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Sue!

I like the idea to let them think they are escaping.

I will post on the forum some pictures of the outdoor enclosure soon. 

Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Sue!
I like the idea to let them think they are escaping.
I will post on the forum some pictures of the outdoor enclosure soon. 
Sabina

Looking forward to pics. I'm sure there will be some good ideas for other members as you've put such a lot of thought into this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users