New Outdoor Enclosure To Shanti And Namaste

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hi there,

I would like to share with you some pics of the new outdoor enclosure for my 21 month old Hermann tortoises (Shani and Namaste).

It is a big enclosure (about 10 sqm) for the their current size and this year they will have access to a section of it, then year after year they will have gradually access to more of it. At 5 years old they will have access to all of it.

The wooden panels hinge and when i open them i put a wooden stick to leave open so that i can get in. 

I used retaining blocks made with limestone grit, sand and concrete. The idea was to create a natural protective barrier and also plant flowers in the blocks. The cold frame is 16mm Alltop plexiglas, the roof opens gradually as the temp rises so that it is not too hot inside. I had to get the cold frame shipped from Germany. The cold frame is sitting on wooden sleepers.

Electrics are in the cold frame. I find the pig lamp too low though, so i need to get a smaller one.

Now i only need to fine tune a few things. They will go out next weekend. 

If you have any question about it please feel free to ask.  

Sabina

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

I have trouble to download the pics, so here is a link

https://goo.gl/photo...vYyR7qxafWhPjf6

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Sabina, it's fantastic. Very lucky tortoise babies. When the blocks are planted up it's going to look even better. Love it :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

Hi Sabina, that's brilliant i love it, a lot of work has gone into it well done lucky torts. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users