• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jaysparks

jaysparks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

I have a 120 x 58 cage with mercury bulb. The temperatures reach 35-40 depending on how hot it is outside but its usually a stable 35c. The cold side seems to be around 24 and about 20c at night but my tortoise just seems to spend the day on his hide and he will not eat unless i hand feed him. He has been burying a lot lately my substrate is a mix of topsoil and coco coir. Should I be worried that hes not basking? i was thinking of adding an extra ceramic heat emiter for the cold side so that it warms it up in the mornings. His hide is in-between. Logan is only 10 months old and weighs 90 grams I've had him for 2 weeks and so far he has gained 3 grams.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

No he's not hibernating. Tortoises hibernate at 5 degrees. They do aestivate at high temps though, so your temps could be the cause, or it could just be the settling in period. I'm guessing you bought him from a commercial outlet, as most responsible breeders will give good care sheets and their tortoises would be much smaller at this age. You need lower temps on the cold side and the hot spot. 40 degrees would cause death if he buried down where the lamps are. 90 grams is around the size of a large 2-3 year old, 3 grams is a good months worth of weight, so I'd say there's not a lot to worry about re his eating other than he is growing too quickly. Try cutting down what you are offering and lowering his basking spot to 30 degrees to see if that changes things. Remove the hide, as these are not natural and won't encourage them to wake in the morning. Give him a depth of soil that he can disappear under so that he can wake with the normal light patterns. Don't hand feed as you will end up with the problem that your tortoise is going to take months to break the habit and definitely don't add another heater. Are you bathing regularly? What are you feeding?

#3 jaysparks

jaysparks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

No he's not hibernating. Tortoises hibernate at 5 degrees. They do aestivate at high temps though, so your temps could be the cause, or it could just be the settling in period. I'm guessing you bought him from a commercial outlet, as most responsible breeders will give good care sheets and their tortoises would be much smaller at this age. You need lower temps on the cold side and the hot spot. 40 degrees would cause death if he buried down where the lamps are. 90 grams is around the size of a large 2-3 year old, 3 grams is a good months worth of weight, so I'd say there's not a lot to worry about re his eating other than he is growing too quickly. Try cutting down what you are offering and lowering his basking spot to 30 degrees to see if that changes things. Remove the hide, as these are not natural and won't encourage them to wake in the morning. Give him a depth of soil that he can disappear under so that he can wake with the normal light patterns. Don't hand feed as you will end up with the problem that your tortoise is going to take months to break the habit and definitely don't add another heater. Are you bathing regularly? What are you feeding?

I got him from a breeder it was captive bred in the uk according to his article 10 details. I didn't buy him from a pet store. i'm currently keeping him in a guinea pig cage that i've converted into his enclosure most people use garden tubs. I've been feeding him romaine lettuce, cress, kale, lamb lettuce. I also have dried tortoise leaf mix of marigold plantian hisbiscus etc. I'm growing ribwort plantain, lamb lettuce, daisy, cat grass, timothy hay and coneflower. I've been meaning to add flowers to his enclosure but not sure if a non organic flower is okay for him to eat.

#4 jaysparks

jaysparks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

I got him from a breeder it was captive bred in the uk according to his article 10 details. I didn't buy him from a pet store. i'm currently keeping him in a guinea pig cage that i've converted into his enclosure most people use garden tubs. I've been feeding him romaine lettuce, cress, kale, lamb lettuce. I also have dried tortoise leaf mix of marigold plantian hisbiscus etc. I'm growing ribwort plantain, lamb lettuce, daisy, cat grass, timothy hay and coneflower. I've been meaning to add flowers to his enclosure but not sure if a non organic flower is okay for him to eat.

heres some pictures

http://imgur.com/a/BQsVw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users