Babies Outdoors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

Hi everyone

I have to say that it is very rewarding to see my two Hermann babies living outdoors 24/7 until the end of the summer.

They have a very different behavior which I would describe as “they have gone wilder” than when they were indoors, or I would say they are back to how they should naturally be...very interesting to see that actually.

Now outdoors they exhibit much stronger instinct. For example, they are more prudent/alert in case of danger and possible predators from above.

They are not interested in my fingers anymore when they see my hands. They walk a lot, smell weeds and nibble bits of them and carry on walking and climbing around, they choose where they want to bask under the sun and cool in the shade, they feel the wind, the changing temps, the shade of clouds, the sun moving during the day, the natural humidity, they have the insects (aunts, spiders etc.) and they are all dirty etc. I love all that!

It makes so much difference for them. It was so worth it setting an outdoors space for them.

Hope all your Mediterranean torts have a chance to enjoy the nice weather.

Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

I have to agree Sabina, there's nothing better than watching them outside they seem so much happier all the time and more active, everyone's tortoise should have this and this is why we recommend them been outside 24/7 at this time of year they thrive and it's not the same them living indoors all year in a table. :) 

#3 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

I whole heartedly agree, Tank is having a whale of a time living outside, and it I'm loving watching him too (when I can find him that is)

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

I guess an animal will always survive as long as it can in a given environment because it has a survival instinct, and we have to be conscious of the life conditons they are given and which can make the difference between surviving and thriving.
Sabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users