• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaysparks

jaysparks

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

If a tortoise pees clear like this is it normal? my hermans has been doing it lately. No urates whatsoever.

heres an example of what i mean.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hello

Here are a few points below. May be you are aware of all this already though.

- When they pass urine, it looks like water.

- When they pass urates, it looks like a white liquid with a creamy texture, this is the normal texture. They don't pass urates on every single day. However, when they pass the urates it must have at least a creamy texture, the more liquid the texture is the better for the health of the tortoise. Otherwise if the urates does not look that that, you must soak your tortoise daily in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes until you notice that it passes urates with right texture and thereafter continue to soak frequently for good maintenance of hydration, you must also offer fresh water everyday in shallow dishes and make sure the substrate it lives on has the suitable dampness beneath the surface.

- Urates with abnormal texture (ie not creamy but thick, gritty, solid) can lead to serious and even fatal consequences for the tortoise.

- When a tortoise is extremely well hydrated, the urates might not be noticable.

- They pass both urine and urates and also poop through the same orifice which is on their tail.

Do you have some pictures of your tortoise?

Where does it live and which substrate is it on?

Do you know how old it is?

How long have you had your tortoise for?

The video shows a Sulcata tortoise i think, it is a very big specie. So they pass bigger quantity than a Hermann for example.

Thank you and i hope this helps.

Sabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users