• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Thought I would share these photo's I took today showing size and weight progression of some of my young tortoises.
Oldest to youngest.
4 in August weight 119g
3 next month weight 77g
2 in August weight 49g
1 next month weight 34g
Hatchling 2 days old 9g

Hope you find this useful.

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:10 AM

Wow your hatchlings are perfect, it's lovely to see such slow growth and will give members an idea of how slow they should be grown well done. :) 

Do your hatchlings live outside and hibernate through the winter. :) 

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thought I would share these photo's I took today showing size and weight progression of some of my young tortoises.
Oldest to youngest.
4 in August weight 119g
3 next month weight 77g
2 in August weight 49g
1 next month weight 34g
Hatchling 2 days old 9g
Hope you find this useful.

Well done on the smooth growth. Wouldn't it be great if all keepers went for this type of regime. Are your hatchlings usually small on hatching? Are they boettgeri? I've had as small as 7 grams but most are 13 or 14 grams.

#4 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Yes they are THB. They are typically 12g on hatching, but smallest I have had once is 6g.
The older hatchlings live at the back of my old garage where there is continuous glass along the width and where i have built a lare table top. The middle section I can remove so that they have access to natural UV. The smaller hatchlings live in an indoor table top. It is not exactly attractive but it does the job.
I fridge hibernate all my hatchlings in their first winter, unless I feel they are too small. I have hibernated hatchlings at 19g without any weight loss.
I weigh all my hatchlings every week and keep a record. One thing I have noticed is that last year's Hatchlings are putting on more weight than I would expect based on previous years. My suspicion is that now they are mixing with the older hatchlings they have access to more food. Something I may need to address by feeding separately.
I had plans to build a permanent outside enclosure this year for the 3 and 4 year olds, but I am about to have some major work done. New garage built and surrounding garden area developed.
this is now on hold until next year.
glad you liked the photos.

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hello Pompeypoole
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, I have one question....
Let's say for a specific range age of 2-3 years old, do you feed same amount across all months they are awake (exluding pre hibernation) or do you provide more abundant food in spring when they would eat more after hibernation?
Thank you
Sabina

#6 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yes I do try and feed the same amount throughout the year. Their diet does very depending on what is seasonal available. This time of year I include flowers, for example today they had white clover flowers. I picked them from my front law before I moed it this afternoon.
They love to eat dandelion and milk thistle, but I have to restict it and only feed occasionally.
I feed Plaintain more frequently as it is has more fibre content, less protein. They will eat it but it is not some thing they will fight over.
show them a dandelion flower and their eyes seam to light up and will climb over each other to get at it.
Also feed rose leaves this week, again not to keen on these but I try to vary their diet as best I can.
Occasionally feed the stalks of thistle and they love to tear small strips off.
if I notice quick weight gain I tend to feed less favourable food. If they are truly hungry they will eat.
My experience is they will eat themselves 'fat' if you let them.
I use Nekton-MSA with every feed.
hope you find this useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users