• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MikeA

MikeA

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

I have a 2 year Hermann tortoise who has settled down very well. I have had her for about 3 months and was thinking on getting a second as there is so much extra room in her indoor and outdoor enclosure. I wanted some advice before I made any permanent decisions. I know two females will be better suited then two males but as my one is only 2 years I'm not sure on her sex. I understand it will be twice the work but as long as they get along it shouldnt be any problem for me getting a second. Whats your expierance of introducing two younge torts and what would you advise?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

As you say, two females are the best choice, you just have to be prepared to have two separate enclosures in the future if they aren't. Two males will usually get on fine so long as there are no females around and so long as they have plenty of room. Remember as they grow, they will need more room. Not sure how much room you are giving them now. It's only twice the work if there are two enclosures. You will also need to quarantine them for twelve months or so if not from the same breeder. Hope this helps.

#3 MikeA

MikeA

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

My indoor enclosure is about four and a half feet by 2 and a half, my outdoor one is slightly smaller but they will only see that for a few months a year max. I wouldnt have room to seperate them and have the second enclosure and this is what worries me. I just thought it would good for my tort to have some company rather then none at all. I know they can be solitary animals, would you say it is better for them to have a companion or to remain on their own?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

My indoor enclosure is about four and a half feet by 2 and a half, my outdoor one is slightly smaller but they will only see that for a few months a year max. I wouldnt have room to seperate them and have the second enclosure and this is what worries me. I just thought it would good for my tort to have some company rather then none at all. I know they can be solitary animals, would you say it is better for them to have a companion or to remain on their own?

Hi Mike,

I think if you don't have the space for separate enclosures then it would be best to stick to the one, they live fine on their own and even when their together they don't interact as such, the problem would come if you had two that didn't get on or had one male and one female and with out space to separate them you might have to look at rehoming one, at least at the minute you know the one you already have has plenty of space and is happy hope that helps. :) 

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

That's really not big enough for more than a hatchling to be honest and to try to keep two confined would most likely result in a few problems. I'd say unless they have metres to roam in outdoors, much better to keep just one. In the wild they are never seen to be cohabiting other than to fight or mate, they just exist singly ;) Hope this helps.

#6 MikeA

MikeA

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

It does, i think i was putting to much of a human emotion into it. What would you advise as a good size enclosure for a fully grown adult?

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

I think that's the thing, we do tend to apply human emotions. It's like when people think torts play with a ball, when most of the time they just want it to stand still so they can either taste it or mate with it lol. The more space you can give them the better, remembering that in the wild they have territories of miles rather than feet. Mine have the run of the entire garden and seem happy with that, but if I have to pen them, even in an area of 12x12 feet, they pace the edges constantly. This could just be because they know there is freedom the other side of the barrier, but it's like all animals, closer confinement usually equals stress, which is the opening for other health problems ;)

#8 deezzee

deezzee

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

Help!

Hi all, i'm a newbie here and to torties but learning all the time.  The issue i need help with is the certification.  I have been given 2 Hermanns a male aged 5 and a female aged 7 however, no certificates?  The lady told me that she bred them herself and certs were not mentioned, nor micro chips.

My question is, if no money changed hands do i still require a certificate for each of them and do they need to be microchipped?

I'm getting very worried that i could be doing something illegal in keeping my two lovely torties who i have grown to adore and would hate to have to part with.

Please, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Dee

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

So long as she has given them to you and not sold them it's fine, but selling a hermanni without certs is illegal and carries heavy fines as they are a protected species. They only need certs and microchipping if you use them for breeding, which is what the original breeder should have done really. Without her tortoises having certs it's going to be difficult for you to obtain certs unless she has given you a gifting letter which sometimes helps. I'm surprised she gave you one of each, as at maturity you always need one male to several females to avoid stress and related illness.

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

So long as she has given them to you and not sold them it's fine, but selling a hermanni without certs is illegal and carries heavy fines as they are a protected species. They only need certs and microchipping if you use them for breeding, which is what the original breeder should have done really. Without her tortoises having certs it's going to be difficult for you to obtain certs unless she has given you a gifting letter which sometimes helps. I'm surprised she gave you one of each, as at maturity you always need one male to several females to avoid stress and related illness.

Do you have photos of your tortoises for ID purposes?

#11 Herman Monster

Herman Monster

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

I think that's the thing, we do tend to apply human emotions. It's like when people think torts play with a ball, when most of the time they just want it to stand still so they can either taste it or mate with it lol. The more space you can give them the better, remembering that in the wild they have territories of miles rather than feet. Mine have the run of the entire garden and seem happy with that, but if I have to pen them, even in an area of 12x12 feet, they pace the edges constantly. This could just be because they know there is freedom the other side of the barrier, but it's like all animals, closer confinement usually equals stress, which is the opening for other health problems ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users