• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

hi need a bit of help for this past month or so squirt as been of his food and not very active I have tried alsorts to get him more active I've been getting him out for a bath and putting him under his lamp but goes straight back to his corner he likes and digs down and I have left him for 2 days but haven't seen anything of him what shod I do

thanks

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

hi need a bit of help for this past month or so squirt as been of his food and not very active I have tried alsorts to get him more active I've been getting him out for a bath and putting him under his lamp but goes straight back to his corner he likes and digs down and I have left him for 2 days but haven't seen anything of him what shod I do

thanks

Hi Gary,

Is Squirt indoors all the time at the minute, do you know what temps your getting in his set up, and how olds your uv bulb.

My Horsfields are quiet at the minute they sense they change in the seasons and start naturally slowing down over time, will you be hibernating him this winter or keeping him up. :)

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

hi
he is indoors he goes outside on hot days but bring him in on a night and temps are average 31.5 under lamp and 28 at the cool side and the lamp is about 10month old and I was going to keep him awake but last year he dug down at end of Oct and came back out on his own in Jan so I was going to let him do the same I just thought I was to early

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

That's probably the problem Gary. Taking them out on warm days and bringing them in at night causes confusion, as the ambient temps overnight are higher than outdoors. Your cool side at 28 is far too warm, it needs to drop much cooler, especially overnight. They really need permanent outdoor accommodation, so they can thermoregulate naturally. You really mustn't let him hibernate indoors as the temps are too high. It might work for a while, but he will get weaker as the years go on. 5 degrees is the optimum temperature for hibernation and although we can only rely on this constantly using a fridge, he still needs to keep as close to this as possible. At ten degrees and above he's using up valuable stores which will eventually affect the kidneys.

#5 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users