1 reply to this topic

#1 jacqui99

jacqui99

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hi
New to forties this year and doing everything I can to keep them healthy and ready for hibernation. I have read all about the weight loss expected DURING hibernation, but how much on average dies an adult tort lose between end of summer to hibernation time ? My two seem to have lost around 20%, but currently still a good 0.16 and 0.17 on the ratio. Final week of wind down now and then into their fridge for 12 weeks.....

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hi
New to forties this year and doing everything I can to keep them healthy and ready for hibernation. I have read all about the weight loss expected DURING hibernation, but how much on average dies an adult tort lose between end of summer to hibernation time ? My two seem to have lost around 20%, but currently still a good 0.16 and 0.17 on the ratio. Final week of wind down now and then into their fridge for 12 weeks.....

Hi Jacqii, welcome to the forum.  :) 

They loose most of their weight during wind down as they have emptied their stomachs it will settle, once in the fridge their weight loss should be minimal they loose more in the first week as they settle into hibernation, over all while in the fridge the weight loss wants to be under 10% of their weigh they weigh on going into the fridge.  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users