• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baron

Baron

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

My female Hermanns is around 80 plus years old, I am very concerned about hibernating her this year, as she appears to be less mobile lately, I am also going away for a month, although I've had people in the past to keep a check on her, I don't feel comfortable doing that this time, is there anywhere that I could take her to be looked after, would be pleased if someone could give me any help.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

My female Hermanns is around 80 plus years old, I am very concerned about hibernating her this year, as she appears to be less mobile lately, I am also going away for a month, although I've had people in the past to keep a check on her, I don't feel comfortable doing that this time, is there anywhere that I could take her to be looked after, would be pleased if someone could give me any help.

Hi welcome to the forum.  :) 

There's probably some places that look after tortoises but it's not some thing I would recommend to be truthful as it's just not the risk, you wouldn't know what tortoises are there or been there before yours went and with there been so many viruses around that can kill your tortoise I would say at her age it would be best not to go down this route, do you not have a family member of friend that could look after her it would be safer this way.  :) 

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Totally agree, there are so many bugs being imported with tortoises that I would never risk this route. Much better to get someone to come in and keep an eye on her if possible. If you keep temperatures lower while you’re away then she will be less lively and not want to eat so much, perfectly fine for a month or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users