• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hi everyone 😊 Im starting Veras wind down on the 1st of November. Ive just purchased a table top fridge for her. Im just wondering how I go about using it? Do I literally just place her on the shelf? Do I need a water source in there for humidity? And what do I do about oxygen?

Sorry for all of the questions 😰 just want to make sure shes going to be okay. Thank you everyone 😊

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

First you need to have the fridge running for a time to check it will hold a good temperature. Be sure it’s a fridge and rated as such and not just a drink chiller. Drink chillers often don’t hold good temps as they are not classified for food storage. She needs to be in a box of substrate to help keep her temps stable during hibernation and also put a dish of water inside for humidity. Opening the door daily briefly will provide sufficient oxygen as breathing slows during hibernation. Are you using a good wind down guide? How heavy is she?

#3 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

Shes currently 1273g with a carapace length of 18cm so a fairly large girl 😅 is pretty sure its classed as a fridge but Ill double check :) its got a adjustable thermostat currently getting reading of 4.8 degrees c. In terms of wind down Im using the guide that was pinned on this forum 😊 thanks for the help

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

You should be fine then. If there’s an element at the back of the fridge avoid this area as there is a risk of freezing if the box touches it. Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users